FORUMS: list search recent posts

UH-OH. . . MPEG-2's giving me some trouble.

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
thewanggao
UH-OH. . . MPEG-2's giving me some trouble.
on Jan 17, 2006 at 8:46:26 pm

I shot some test footage in 16:9 progressive on a sony DCR-TRV900. Now, I know it's truly only 15fps, but when i export using compressor to MPEG-2, the video looks terrible, nothing compared to what it was in the timeline. It looks kind of like if i set the timeline to half quality. What am I doing wrong? When i export to animation quicktime, it looks just fine.

- My target output is DVD (MPEG-2 needed first, of course). I shot it at 15fps progressive because I am using a DCR-TRV900 and the progressive mode gives much better image quality, but it only records 15fps and then doubles all of the frames to simulate 30 frames.
- I am using compressor because i want to end up with an MPEG-2 to burn onto a dvd in dvdsp 4. I chose this route because I thought i kne what i was doing, but honestly have never worked in prog. mode before.
- My backup plan was to come too creativecow in case I ran into trouble.

Ok, so do you have any suggestions for me as to why my output is getting so poor in qulaity when i go from fcp straight to compressor, and why it looks GREAT in the timeline, but horrible as MPEG-2??? (My settings in compressor were 90 min best DVD, 16:9, and this loss of quality occurs no matter what dominant field I choose. Bottom, top, progressive, OR automatic).

Alexander Gao

"When the revolution happens, I'll be leading it."

Return to posts index

Charles Simonson
Re: UH-OH. . . MPEG-2's giving me some trouble.
on Jan 18, 2006 at 5:18:35 am

Could you post a test file some where for us to take a look at? I don't have any experience with the camera or mode you are talking about, so its hard to know where to begin with your issue.

Return to posts index

thewanggao
on Jan 19, 2006 at 1:30:35 am

gladly. i'll post the link once i find a place to upload it.

Alexander Gao

Return to posts index

thewanggao
on Jan 19, 2006 at 2:00:36 am

Charles: Thanks for all the help, but I solved my problem! I just trashed fcp prefs and it looked great after tat. Thanks though!

Alexander Gao

Return to posts index

thewanggao
on Jan 19, 2006 at 2:01:49 am

By the way: I just wanted to commend you: Creativecow needs more users like you, who help people when no one else seems to be able to answer the question.

Alexander Gao

Return to posts index

Priscilla Brasil
on Feb 16, 2006 at 1:38:17 am

Dear Alexander,

I've got the same problem of yours... You've said u found a solution for it. Can you post it?
Thanks so much,
Priscilla

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]