FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP 10801 to DVD not good quality images

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jlhutchins
FCP 10801 to DVD not good quality images
on Jan 13, 2006 at 3:48:44 pm

Shot on SONY HDV, edited in FCP 1080i, when I compress for DVD it just doesn't look as good (sharp and clear) as in FCP. I used compressor 2.0.1 FCP 5.0.4, newest OSX, mac G5 dual 2.7. I have tried every preset available and even riased the quality setting with no luck. I have used top field, lower filed, progressive, automatic, still doesn't look good.
Any help?

Return to posts index

thewanggao
Re: FCP 10801 to DVD not good quality images
on Jan 16, 2006 at 12:15:02 am

what is it exactly that doesn't look good? Is there artifacting, or...

Alexander Gao

"When the revolution happens, I'll be leading it."

Return to posts index

thewanggao
on Jan 16, 2006 at 12:25:26 am

and, do you mean the MPEG2 or the final dvd?

Alexander Gao

"When the revolution happens, I'll be leading it."

Return to posts index

jlhutchins
on Jan 16, 2006 at 1:38:05 pm

After compressing, the out put (mpeg or DVD), is not as sharp as in FCP, the edges of any graphic are very jagged, the outlines of the people or anything else is slightly jagged and slightly blurry looking. I downloaded a demo copy of Media100 SW, exported from FCP using the media100 SD 720 X 480 codec, imported into compressor. selected the best quality DVD 90 minute preset(even though my program is only 23.5 minutes) and the results look much much better, but there must be a better way. I have used Media100 in the past, no HD, but with great picture quality, that's way I tried this. It works but is a real pain.
Any other suggestions?
Thanks
Jeff

Return to posts index

Jonathan Green
on Jan 31, 2006 at 6:48:36 pm

Try this and let me know if its any better. I am also continuing to look for the best workflow.

I have had good luck with the following HDV to DVD workflow. Export the HDV via QT Conversion using the H.264 codec. Set the resize here to 720x480 and use the best quality. Then bring this QT into Compressor 2 with GOP set to IP. Just drag into Compressor 2, don't go back to FCP. I used 60 minute high quality encode widescreen. Make sure to resize in QT rather than Compressor, you will get better quality and a much shorter compression time. My HDV piece had many freeze frames and slow motion. This procedure was much smoother and sharper than others I tried that needed to be deinterlaced to get rid of artifacts.

Return to posts index

jlhutchins
on Feb 9, 2006 at 5:33:26 pm

I tried this, the still images looked much better but the motion video did not look as good. Any other suggestions?
Thanks
jlhutchins@headfirstmeda.com

Return to posts index

Jonathan Green
on Feb 10, 2006 at 8:55:36 pm

JL,

I

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]