FORUMS: list search recent posts

Flip4Mac updates their Windows Media products to version 2.0 at MacWorld

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Charles Simonson
Flip4Mac updates their Windows Media products to version 2.0 at MacWorld
on Jan 11, 2006 at 5:41:10 am

Really have to congratulate the guys at Telestream for delivering on this release. We can finally play back WMV HD encodes at full speed on a mac (something Microsoft certainly wasn't in any rush to do). Releasing the player as a free component is a great gesture. And the new pricing structure is what I have been clamoring for for so many months. Also, not charging for the upgrade to existing users is very much welcomed.

The only caveats about the release is the still inability to play back Advanced Profile encodes, either WMVA or WVC1. Plus, the encoder is still encoding AP to WMVA and not WVC1. Would be nice if the F4M products would migrate over to VC1 soon as Microsoft has already done so as of last month. But overall, this is a great upgrade and one of the reasons why we love MacWorld.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: Flip4Mac updates their Windows Media products to version 2.0 at MacWorld
on Jan 11, 2006 at 3:12:03 pm

BTW, in my own testing I've been able to playback VC1 files with Flip4Mac 2.0

Return to posts index

Charles Simonson
on Jan 11, 2006 at 3:26:30 pm

Could you post one? All of the WVC1 files I tested last night did not render video.

Return to posts index

Charles Simonson
on Jan 11, 2006 at 3:55:53 pm

I have tried true WVC1 files from Microsoft's reference encoder, and older WMVA files from both Flip4Mac 2.0 and older AP encoders, and neither have worked. WVC1 didn't render in QT whether it was HD or SD, while all I was able to test for WMVA was an HD file, which didn't render either.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jan 11, 2006 at 4:18:24 pm

VC1 is not officially supported but I have a hardware encoded VC1 file (don't remember the encoder device at the moment) that does play. It's a 62MB file about 1:20, 1920x1080. WMP9 Mac reports the data rate at about 17Mbps. Flip4Mac 2 plays it full screen on my 23" Cinema display without a hitch. Wonder if it's "non standard" in any way or maybe something to do with the specific hardware encoder.

Return to posts index

Charles Simonson
on Jan 11, 2006 at 5:06:33 pm

Hardware encoded using a Tarari board? The Tarari board only accelerates Windows Media encoding libraries, but otherwise it does not do the "encoding" in the traditional sense. Maybe the company who OEM'd the board and put their software on top of it wrote some special version of WVC1. I imagine you might be using the FlipFactory product with the Tarari, which might explain why WVC1 encodes work well with their F4M QT decoder. In any case, could you post a file that works for me to test? I'd like to know what the encoder is doing to make the file compatible. Thanks.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jan 11, 2006 at 5:31:58 pm

Advanced was supposed to be suppored in this release. I noted that it's not working too (just tried it) and I'll let the Flip4Mac folks know.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]