FORUMS: list search recent posts

Burn footage timecode on output???

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Skipno
Burn footage timecode on output???
on Dec 28, 2005 at 9:15:20 pm

Hi,

I'm using my iPod to review footage on the road, since I don't have a laptop to perform rough-cuts. Does anyone know of any software that can take captured footage (Quicktime DV) and detect the embedded timecode, then output to H.264/MPEG-4?

So far, I've successfully imported about 8 hours of MPEG-4 footage into my iPod, but had to perform the following steps after capturing:

-Apply "Timecode Reader" filter from Final Cut Pro
-Export directly to Apple Compressor

The processing time typically takes about 45min for every hour of processed footage. Total a/v data rate is about 970kbps. Quality is good, but not great (see below). I'm just wondering if there is any software with a feature to embed timecode on output. Thanks!

Another thing...after reviewing the processed footage from Compressor, the only issue I had with the quality is that during playback, there's a huge compression artifact that covers the entire frame for a millisecond, which occurs about every second. It looks the entire video flashes a "mosaic" effect. On my 2min videos, I don't see it. But on my 15min-long clips, it's there.

I'm using Compressor v.1 (don't know which build) and applied the MPEG-4 preset "MPEG-4 NTSC 768kbps." Any suggestions?

Andrew

Return to posts index

Charles Simonson
Re: Burn footage timecode on output???
on Dec 31, 2005 at 6:31:35 am

Apple's MPEG-4 Part 2 encoder is not that great. The MPEG-4 encoder included with Popwire's Compression Master 3 is the best software MPEG-4 encoder anywhere in terms of quality and one of the fastest as well. CM3 can also preserve timecode for your encodes.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]