FORUMS: list search recent posts

MPEG2 from Compressor not for DVD

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Toby E
MPEG2 from Compressor not for DVD
on Dec 19, 2005 at 6:50:59 am

Hi there,

I need to create an MPEG2 file for a presentation on a big screen. The location tech people have requested MPEG2 [broadcast res], but specifically not a DVD. Compressor only seems to create MPEG2's in the split format for DVD encoding.

I haven't done this in a while, but isn't it possible to create a regular MPEG1-style file using MPEG2. I'm sure I've done this with Cleaner, however I haven't got access to Cleaner for this job.

Cheers..

Toby

Return to posts index

Pierre-Luc
Re: MPEG2 from Compressor not for DVD
on Dec 19, 2005 at 4:27:58 pm

Just output a mpeg2 with Compressor, the tech will probably read it with a mpeg2 reader. Or he meant a muxed file (Compressor 1 can't do that), so you can create a simple DVD with DVDSP and rename .VOB file that represents your track to .m2v or .mpg.

Pete

Don't fear the tiger, the Cow is near!

Return to posts index

Toby E
on Dec 20, 2005 at 11:09:42 am

Hi Pete,

So what you're saying is that renaming the Compressor file from .m2v to .mpg will do the trick. How is it possible to keep audio with the file, do you know? Or is Compressor not suitable for this. I'm pretty sure Cleaner could do that.

Or pehaps Quicktime Pro?

Thanks

toby

Return to posts index

Charles Simonson
on Dec 20, 2005 at 8:19:22 pm

So what you want to do is encode your video track to an M2V and then export the audio to an Uncompressed format (either WAV or AIFF). Then, you can either mux the two together in MPEG StreamClip (the audio will be registered as PCM) or you can mux them with BitVice Helper, which will encode the audio to MP2 and then mux the video and audio together, saving you some disk space. They would likely prefer the PCM audio version however.

Return to posts index

TKG Media Lab
on Dec 30, 2005 at 9:15:26 am

Hi;
I'm trying to do the same thing- make an mpeg2 movie that will be played back from a ddr onsite. I've used Compressor2 to encode my video. I have anamorphic footage currently in dv codec.

I modified one of the "best quality 60min dvd" settings. I tried to output using 16:9 as the setting, but it smooshes it to 720x405, not the 720x480 I'd expect. So then when I try to keep it at 4:3, it keeps outputting it at 640x480. I'm trying to keep the highest resolution possible... what am I missing?

renata

Return to posts index

Charles Simonson
on Jan 4, 2006 at 4:29:40 am

When you encode to 16:9 anamorphic, it is in fact encoding to 720x480, just that QT recognizes the PAR flags and will display the content at 720x405 automatically. No need to worry, your original 16:9 encode is fine.

Return to posts index

TKG Media Lab
on Jan 4, 2006 at 10:07:53 pm

So are you telling me that it actually is 720x480? I've tried looking at it in FCP, and it tells me that the file is also 720x404. Quicktime tells me 720x404. I just want to get the most pixels possible- 640x480 has more pixels than 720x404. thanks
renata

Return to posts index

Charles Simonson
on Jan 4, 2006 at 10:21:51 pm

If your source PAR was 16:9 and the anamorphic size of the source is 720x480, and you encode to 16:9 anamorphic MPEG-2, Compressor will encode it at 720x480, but QT and any other app that uses QT for decoding will report and display the video at 720x404. To get better info stats on your encode, download and use MPEG StreamClip.

Return to posts index

TKG Media Lab
on Jan 4, 2006 at 10:58:13 pm

Thank you, that makes so much more sense and my world is no longer shaken up.

Why does quicktime display it that way? Is it trying to help in a consumer kind of way? I've also had the problem where I've exported video and in Quicktime it shows a huge color shift. However, you open the same file in After Effects or another program like Keynote (where it was destined to play back) and it looked like the original file in final cut, without shift. Very frustrating.

So, when testing files that you've made, is there anything key that you include in your process (besides checking the file in a program other than quicktime?)

Thanks again

Renata

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]