FORUMS: list search recent posts

Compression for web newbie

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jetle25
Compression for web newbie
on Dec 19, 2005 at 2:52:42 am

I'm really new to this compression stuff and basically what I want to do is compress my QT of my motion graphic pieces so I can use them for the web. I've been using FCP to compress my QT with these settings

Sorenson Video 3
Data Rate: restrict to 6400 kb/sec
Quality: Med
Size: 320 x 240

SOund: Qdesign Music 2
Rate: 24.0000

This was given to me by my teachers assistant. I didn't like the sound quality so I bumped it up to like 32 or 44 khz. The video was still jagged in some areas even if I bump up the Data Rate and Quality. I'm not sure what else to do because there are a million settings. Can anyone give me some pointers or settings that work well. Thanks

Return to posts index

phil
Re: Compression for web newbie
by
on Dec 20, 2005 at 4:15:59 pm

(RENDERING IN AE)

VIDEO:
SORENSON 3
400 KBS OR 350 KBS DATA RATE
KEYFRAME AT EVERY 24 (JUST MY PERSONAL PREFERENCE)
QUALITY AT HIGH
320X240

AUDIO:
IMA 4:1 AT 48 OR 41 KHZ OR 32...

I'M GUESSING THIS IS FOR POSTING TO THE WEB???

Return to posts index

Charles Simonson
on Dec 20, 2005 at 8:25:07 pm

The standard Sorenson encoder included with QT Pro is not that great, and to get really efficient encoding results with Sorenson Video 3 you need their Pro encoder codec. There are also much better tools for encoding video out there, such as Popwire's Compression Master 3 and Sorenson's Squeeze 4. If you are really only worried about SV3 encoding and want a simple to use app, then I would recommend Squeeze. If you are looking for a more advanced and feature rich app, then I would suggest Compression Master and its MPEG-4 encoders. For the audio, I would suggest either MP3 or AAC. IMA is an OK codec and will work well for you as well if all you have is the basic QT Pro Exporter from your apps.

Return to posts index

jetle25
on Dec 20, 2005 at 11:11:50 pm

thanks I'll try these out. Peace

Return to posts index

jetle25
on Jan 4, 2006 at 8:48:13 pm

yes for the web

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>