FORUMS: list search recent posts

Lots of footage to compress onto DVD.... can anyone help??

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tim Berridge
Lots of footage to compress onto DVD.... can anyone help??
on Dec 13, 2005 at 9:44:41 am

I am making up a DVD for the Scotland football supporters club just now, the DVD is to contain a 15 minute behind the scenes piece, a 10 minute top 10 goals piece and a full 90 minute match.

The behind the scenes footage was shot on MiniDV and digitised into Final Cut at DVPal 48khz Anamorphic. The full game was copied onto DV from Beta SP and digitised as DVPal 48khz.

Once digitised the full game was about 20.2 gig. After editing in Final Cut and exporting as a H264 mov it came down to 10.8gig but clearly still far too large to fit onto a DVD.

So, I have a variety of questions! Is there a better way for me to digitise foootage in that will not take up so much space, what bitrate should I be using when I export, whats the best format for me to export using, is there a piece of sooftware that will magically compact all ths footage and squash it onto a DVD without any loss of quality? etc

Any help would be much appreciated

Tim

Return to posts index

phil
Re: Lots of footage to compress onto DVD.... can anyone help??
by
on Dec 13, 2005 at 3:12:44 pm

(RENDERING IN AE)

WHAT ARE YOU EXPORTING OUT AS H.264?? THATS FOR AN HD DVD, WHICH IS FINE, IF YOU'RE TARGET AUDIENCE HAS HD DVD PLAYERS. ROUGH 2 HOURS OF FOOTAGE CAN FIT FINE ON A DVD, IT JUST DEPENDS ON WHAT BIT RATE YOU USE. IF YOU WANT A STANDARD DVD, USE 6.0 1 PASS CBR OR VBR & SEE WHAT THAT GETS YOU.

IF YOU ACTUALLY ARE DOING HD, THEN JUST DECREASE THE BIT RATE ON THE H.264 SETTINGS..........

Return to posts index

Tim Berridge
on Dec 13, 2005 at 3:58:04 pm

I was experimenting and trying the h264, didnt think of it being HD... DOH!

I dont have After Effects here, im exporting from Final Cut or through Compressor and been trying lots of different combinations. I will have a look for 6.0 1 pass CBR/VBR in Compressor or see if I can adjust the bit rates in some of the other options it gives me in there.

Compression drives me nuts!

Thanks for your help Phil

Tim

Return to posts index

phil
by
on Dec 13, 2005 at 9:14:04 pm

You're very welcome :). I sorry for my bad grammar in the previous post, but it was EARLY in the morning :).

i think a 6mbs 1 VBR will be exactly what you need. I usually do a 7.2, but thats rather high, and you may not be able to fit all of your footage. Also, use Dolby 2.0 encoding to decrease the amount of audio "bandwidth" that is taken in the stream. This allows a higer video bitrate (such as the 7.2)....

*after you have compressed your project, just check the file sizes of .m2v's & .ac3's.....if the sum is over 4.2 Gigs, then you'll need a lower bitrate for your video :).....this will save you from opening DVD SP and tossing everything in there....

Return to posts index

Charles Simonson
on Dec 21, 2005 at 12:33:04 am

Yes, as Phil mentioned, H.264 should not be used for making a STB playable DVD. Only use MPEG-2 for this. To calculate your necessary bitrate to fit 2 hours of footage onto a 4.3GB disc, I would suggest downloading a bitrate calculator from macupdate.com or using the web-based one at 3ivx: http://www.3ivx.com/support/calculator/

You should use your sequence in Compressor as a source without converting it to another format first. Compressor 2 has a pretty solid MPEG-2 encoder and should be able to encode your material at the desired bit rate with nice quality. If you are looking for a simple "press one button" type of DVD creation app, then both Toast 7 and iDVD 5 will do a fine job, although the video MPEG-2 quality probably won't be up to the exact level that you can get from either Compressor 2 or some other dedicated MPEG-2 encoders.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]