FORUMS: list search recent posts

Anyone have an opinion about Compression Master 3.2.1 yet?

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Randall
Anyone have an opinion about Compression Master 3.2.1 yet?
on Dec 6, 2005 at 9:09:20 pm

Planning for software upgrades and purchases before end of year. Compression Suite of some type would be on the list. Been working in the abandoned Cleaner 6 for Mac the last 2 years or so. Anxious to delve into something more robust. All our compressed media requests have been whittled down to wmv and flash, but would prefer to stay on the Mac because all our editing is performed in Final Cut Pro.

Thanks.
Randall

Return to posts index

Marcelo Lewin
Re: Anyone have an opinion about Compression Master 3.2.1 yet?
on Dec 6, 2005 at 9:39:20 pm

Have you tried Sorenson Squeeze? They have a Mac Version...

We use the PC version here at work. We love it:

http://www.sorensonmedia.com/solutions/prod/comp_mac.php

- Marcelo
Digital Dots Studio
http://www.digitaldotsstudio.com/
marcelo@digitaldotsmedia.com

Return to posts index

Randall
on Dec 6, 2005 at 10:37:21 pm

Marcelo,

Thanks for replying. Yes I have tried version 3.0, but was without documentation and the GUI (interface) was very scant, at least on the mac version. I believe it had the capability of mov, swf, fla, and mp4. I would imagine 4.2 for mac would be quite an improvement. I saw mention of the necessity to purchase something called flip4mac just to do windows media. Why couldn't they integrate this item I wonder?

Thank you for hosting this forum.
Randall

Return to posts index

Randall
Re: Okay, did the demo of Compression Master 3.2.1
on Dec 6, 2005 at 10:51:55 pm

Well, I can't say I am that impressed with the demo from their website. I'm sure even with purchasing the extra flip4 mac thingy that Sorenson Squeeze would be a better choice for us- coming from the quality of cleaner.

Randall

Return to posts index

Marcelo Lewin
on Dec 6, 2005 at 11:13:03 pm

Interesting. I don't use it on the Mac. On the PC it's really sweet. It's got a great interface and I can pretty much convert to just about anything. I'm in version 4.2, which now supports the new Flash code (Flash 8)

- Marcelo Lewin
marcelo@digitaldotsmedia.com
Digital Dots Studio
http://www.digitaldotsstudio.com/

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Dec 7, 2005 at 12:31:50 am

[Randall] "I saw mention of the necessity to purchase something called flip4mac just to do windows media"

Flip4Mac is from Telestream. You get the trial version with Squeeze 4.1. There's a $99 1 pass encode version and a $179 2 pass encode plus HD frame sizes with 5.1/7.1 surround too. Isn't it better that the user has the option to buy (or not) and chose which version rather than make everyone pay a higher price. Of course one may feel every Mac compressionist should have WM9 encoding in their arsenal.

Don't forget that Cleaner users had to pay extra for Sorenson Pro or buy Squeeze which included it. Cleaner, it seems, still only does WMV7 so one would have to get Flip4Mac in addition to Sorenson Pro to cover all the bases.

Others might feel getting Compressor 2 "free" with FCP5 or DVDSP4 and then buying Flip4Mac is a bargain compression combo. It depends on your needs.

Return to posts index

Jamie Kelley
on Dec 8, 2005 at 3:14:24 am

I am very satisifed with Sorenson Squeeze 4.1 and anxiously await the 4.2 upgrade for the Mac. I also use Flip4Mac for Windows encoding, however I conduct most of my compressions in Flash and QuickTime. I only use wmv as a throwaway for people to download who aren't on high speed.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Dec 9, 2005 at 5:00:37 pm

[Jamie Kelley] " I only use wmv as a throwaway for people to download who aren't on high speed."

Why? WMV works fine for high speed connections. Looks great. Too many Windows folks don't/won't put Quicktime on their computers. You'll also find many folks can't handle H.264 Quicktime since they don't have Quicktime 7 yet. SorensonPro still looks very good though.

Return to posts index

Jamie Kelley
on Dec 9, 2005 at 5:14:19 pm

Craig:

In my focus testing and field research, limited as it may be, I have found that wmv responds differently to PC users according to their browser and Windows OS. It's been my experience that wmv is not consistent over the multiple Windows OS platforms and often requires plug-ins which many people have no idea how to install.

I agree with you about QuickTime; I only offer it as a paen to Mac users (of which I am one). Flash, on the other hand, seems to have universal accessability and I use it as my first choice.

Jamie

Return to posts index

Ben Waggoner
on Dec 10, 2005 at 7:53:17 pm

WMV is really a very good web format - not sure why it would be a throwaway.

Also, Squeeze 4.2 won't be released for Mac. The next release will be 4.3, and it'll be cross-platform.

Return to posts index

Jamie Kelley
on Dec 10, 2005 at 9:45:37 pm

Thanks for the update on Squeeze. When I called them last week, they said their Mac 4.2 version would be released this week. Glad to hear that 4.3 is imminent.

Return to posts index

Curtis Savage
on Jan 27, 2006 at 6:35:09 pm

I'm wondering the same thing myself. I need a tool that can export multiple bit rate Windows media on a mac.

Return to posts index

Jamie Kelley
on Jan 27, 2006 at 6:57:17 pm

Squeeze 4.3 with embedded Flip for Mac works just fine for me. Easy to export variable wmv bitrates. I'm on a dual processor G5 with 4G RAM.

Jamie

Return to posts index

Ben Waggoner
on Jan 27, 2006 at 8:42:47 pm

It's the only tool that does Intelligent Streaming on the Mac, so if that's what you want, that's what you need to be using :).

It's a nice tool. I like it. Very deep preprocessing. Nice batch mode.

Return to posts index

Curtis Savage
on Feb 2, 2006 at 6:08:34 pm

Excellent Ben. It's what I've been looking for, for around 3 months now. FYI, Flip4Mac is shooting to get MBR capability worked into an update around April...

Return to posts index

Curtis Savage
on Feb 2, 2006 at 7:56:53 pm

Just have installed Compression Master and using it to export MBR WMV files. However, the subtitles do not resize properly. In the quicktime source file, they are fine, but in the exported wmv file, they are cut off. It's weird because my source files and exports are both 320 x 240, so I'm not sure why this happening?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]