FORUMS: list search recent posts

RealVideo Advantages?

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mochegod
RealVideo Advantages?
on Nov 18, 2005 at 12:58:38 am

Perhaps this has been covered before, but are there any specific advantages to using RealVideo as opposed to Windows Media or QT? I know a lot people hate the intrusiveness of the player, and there doesn't seem to be any install base stats on the web, so is there anything to like?

Return to posts index

daniel_l
Re: RealVideo Advantages?
on Nov 18, 2005 at 11:07:02 am

Nothing, as far as I'm concerned.

The video quality not as good as WMV, (but both Real player and WMP are foul)and I think it's safe to say that it's better quality than Sorenson but not H.264, in QT .

If find it amazing that the likes of the BBC still use it.

Return to posts index

Charles Simonson
on Nov 18, 2005 at 6:36:04 pm

While I'll wholeheartedly agree that the Player is a huge piece of bloated crap on the PC, saying there are problems with the quality of RealVideo 10 is incorrect. In fact, there are a few encoders that do an excellent job compressing to RealVideo 10 and the quality differences is very negligible compared to H264 and WMV9 for web video, especially at HD resolutions. And if you consider the speed at which you can encode RealVideo 10 with software compared to the others, there could be many advantages to be gained. Unfortunately, because the Player is so bloated with spyware and wanting to control all decoding for all formats, it has made its relevance rather minimal and there are many users who loathe the software.

Return to posts index

Mochegod
on Nov 19, 2005 at 7:18:31 pm

Thanks for the feedback. We do a lot of Windows Media for our corporate production clients, but I wasn't sure if there were any reasons to recommend Real instead. Apparently, the answer is no.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]