WMV compression for portable media players

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
mike wavrecan
WMV compression for portable media players
on Nov 14, 2005 at 5:52:36 pm

Hello,
Quick question here....
I have a few clients that are starting to want their shows also put online in a WMV format for their portable media players. I don't have a portable media player other than the new ipood so I can't test what file formats work. I've looked around on the net but can only see that the file needs to be 320x240 in size with less than 800kbps compression. There is no special codec i need? I have cleaner 6, and compressor 2 for outputting can I do the proper wmv compression with these programs?

Thanks,
Mike

Return to posts index

Charles Simonson
Re: WMV compression for portable media players
on Nov 15, 2005 at 3:09:11 am

You just need to be sure you use Windows Media Main Profile encoding at the appropriate other settings. On the mac, the two options for encoding WMVs are Flip4Mac and Popwire. Flip4Mac has a Pro QT export component that can do two pass encoding and produce very nice results ($179). The export component is compatible with Cleaner 6 and Compressor 2. Popwire has a QT single pass encoder ($29) that does a good job as well, but doesn't offer the control that F4M does. Popwire also has a nice 2 pass WMV encoder, but it is only available with Compression Master 3 ($495), which itself is an excellent application with all of the tools it offers.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]