FORUMS: list search recent posts

MPEG2s won't play in powerpoint anymore.

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jamie Nelson
MPEG2s won't play in powerpoint anymore.
on Nov 8, 2005 at 10:13:49 am

I have been using Cleaner 6 for a few years to do MPEG1s and 2s. They work fine and play no problem on MACs or PCs using windows media player.
Now though the MPEG2s won't play in PowerPoint on PCs. They have been fine for years but now there is a problem. I've tried other encoders too - Compressor and Compression Master 3 - both give the same problem.

Anyone else had this issue? It's a major problem which I can't seem to get round. Powerpoint also can't play Quicktimes so I'm stuck with having to use MPEGS.

any ideas??

Return to posts index

mike velte
Re: MPEG2s won't play in powerpoint anymore.
on Nov 8, 2005 at 12:05:25 pm

Windows does not support Mpeg 2 playback. Stick with Mpeg 1, unless you can install a DVD player software on the user's PC.

Return to posts index

Jamie Nelson
on Nov 8, 2005 at 1:26:16 pm

Actually MPEG2s play fine in windows and they don't expect users to pay more for MPEG2 playback software like Apple does.
Anyway it has been working fine for years and now suddenly it doesn't which is weird.

Are you saying the DVD software on a windows laptop affects the playability of an MPEG2 in powerpoint?

Return to posts index

daniel_l
on Nov 8, 2005 at 2:02:40 pm

Actually Windows does not have any built-in support for playback of MPEG-2 or DVDs, however most PCs are shipped with a 3rd party MPEG 2/DVD playback package/component (that may only be an evaluation version) and will either allow playback of MPEG-2 in WMP or it's own player software.

Updates to Windows etc can (and usually do) break MPEG-2 playback and require the re-installation of the the 3rd party software.

As with Apple, you have to pay for an (half decent) MPEG-2 decoder/transcoder and this is simply due to licening costs from the MPEGLA.

As the previous posted pointed out, you are much better off with MPEG-1 (square pixel).

Lastly, there is nothing unusual with a PC performing a task for years and then suddenly not. As a PC user for over 20 years, I expect it.

Return to posts index

Jamie Nelson
on Nov 8, 2005 at 2:06:42 pm

OK Thanks for setting me straight on that.

Now I'll be looking to get the best possible enconding for an MPEG1.

I've always been told it's inferior though sometimes they almost appear the same in quality.

Return to posts index

Charles Simonson
on Nov 8, 2005 at 3:52:23 pm

A really high-quality MPEG-1 encoder at half or three-quarters D1 can easily approach a low to mid-quality MPEG-2 encoder at the same resolution any day. Unless you are embedding full-resolution video into your Powerpoint, then there is no need to use MPEG-2. There is even less need to use MPEG-2 if you can not control where the .ppt will be played back from.

Return to posts index

daniel_l
on Nov 9, 2005 at 10:25:43 am

Actually, with the right software you can get MPEG 1 to do some amazing stuff:

http://www.digigami.com/megapeg/samples.php

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]