FORUMS: list search recent posts

reverse compression ?

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Roger Burton
reverse compression ?
on Nov 7, 2005 at 8:24:40 am

Well sort of ... I'm trying to find out the best way of ingesting mobile/cell 'phone footage ... hope you don't mind .. here's a post from the broadcast forum:

Hi all ... I work in a news environment in the UK and our Journalists are going to be supplied with mobiles with video capabilities so they can send stuff in to us for transmission ... we've already been inviolved a little in 'viewers videos' but as you all know the quality is pretty poor. Does anyone have any tips as to how to handle the footage. At the present I'm just converting the 3gp files with Qtime pro ... is there any more I can do ? ... Can anyone recommend the best 'phone for video for our staff ? Sending the imagery to a mobile at base or via SMS seems pretty clumsy and direct transfer from the card or USB seems better ... any other areas I should be investigating ?

many thanks

Roger

Return to posts index

Charles Simonson
Re: reverse compression ?
on Nov 7, 2005 at 6:38:50 pm

As far as converting from 3gp to another format, Quicktime does seem to be the best choice. Though, I probably wouldn't use Quicktime Pro, as a batch exporter with image controls would likely be more useful. I would recommend Compression Master 3 from Popwire because of its highly effective imaging and preprocessing filters.

As far as phones, the best images I have seen from a phone outside of Asia comes from the Nokia N90. It takes truly brilliant pictures, and I imagine the Carl Zeiss optics may help a bit with shooting video as well. I believe the N90 includes a USB2.0 option, therefore making transfers pretty quick. There is also Bluetooth 2.0, and using a point-to-point phone-to-computer connection is quite speedy.

Return to posts index

Roger Burton
on Nov 7, 2005 at 9:57:10 pm

Thanks for that Charles ... gives me plenty to go on ... Roger

Return to posts index

garcon
on Nov 17, 2005 at 12:00:37 pm

Hi Charles - thanks for that info on the best 'video phone'. I've only just joined the forum but I've been hunting around for feedback on 'smartphones' as I'm looking to get one in the near future.I've had a look at some specifications for the Nokia N90 and it does look as good as you say, although there have been some rumblings that the 'build' quality is not up to the usual nokia/n-series standard. I've also found some links to some video foootage that was shot using an N90. It's official nokia advertising but it does give a fair idea of the quality of the video camera - let me know what you think.

Best regards - garcon

http://www.boreme.com/boreme/funny-2005/wedding-p1.php

http://viral.3dge.net/attachments/00/00/21/restaurant.wmv

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]