FORUMS: list search recent posts

Mac and Windows???

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Avant Guarde
Mac and Windows???
on Nov 2, 2005 at 6:39:05 pm

i have several small videos that i made with FCP, my boss wants them to real stream from our server so that anyone with a windows media player can watch them, but the files are 1920x1080 HD and everytime i compress it to anything else it looks atari style. (very Pixelated) what settings should i use in compressor 2 to accomplish this and maintain good video quality, or do i need something else??
Any help is much appriciated

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." -Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Return to posts index

Ben Waggoner
Re: Mac and Windows???
on Nov 3, 2005 at 12:08:56 am

Full 1920x1080 has really high processor requirements. You're looking at a modern video card with current drivers and a 3 GHz or faster computer, running Windows XP and WMP10.

And the bitrates need to be at least 8 Mbps for real-time streaming, which isn't very practical.

My Book: http://www.benwaggoner.com/books.htm
Squeeze and ProCoder tutorials: http://www.classondemand.net/benwaggoner/
Compression Class at Stanford: http://www.digitalmediaacademy.org/compression.html

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Nov 3, 2005 at 6:06:55 am

You're starting out with 1920x1080(interlace?) HD files and you want them smaller.

Many people use "stream" when they mean "progressive download" - BIG difference!

Are you hosting on an HTTP type or MMS type server? They "serve" very different purposes.

If you're hosting on HTTP and I assume you're using Flip4Mac to create WMV files then try:

WMV 9 Standard
2 Pass Variable bit rate
Q=0 (zero)
Bit rate 500kbits/second
Key frame every 5.0 seconds (you may want to experiment with this depending on content)
Type Interlace Upper Field First (but you should really check this in the Summary Field in Compressor)
Size 320x180 - should be small enough not to stress most playback computers on broadband
Frame Rate 29.97 fps if you're NTSC, 25 fps if you're PAL, 23.98 if that was your way of working.
Output Type - Progressive.

Audio
WMA 9 Standard
One Pass CBR
64Kbps, 44.1khz, Stereo

The above file should be about 564kbps/second and look pretty good and work on all but the slowest broad band connections.

Make sure you check your source field order.

Return to posts index

Avant Guarde
on Nov 3, 2005 at 3:02:21 pm

Thanks alot I really appriciate it, im kind of new at this.

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." -Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Return to posts index

Avant Guarde
on Nov 3, 2005 at 3:05:34 pm

It is an MMS server, does that make a difference?

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Nov 3, 2005 at 4:15:56 pm

BIG difference.

Use 2 Pass CBR for video instead of 2 Pass VBR. Your server bosses may want to restrict your bit rate depending on how the estimate the number of people viewing the stream at any given moment. You need to get bit rate limits from them (if any). Because CBR doesn't (by design) vary the bit rate based on content, "high action" elements may not look as good (dissolves, fast motion in the subject or camera movement). Simply put, VBR will increase the bit rate for "high action" elements and reduce it elsewhere to keep to the target bit rate (and/or quality setting), CBR is inflexible so the bit rate may simply not be high enough to maintain the quality when there's lots of "change" from frame to frame.

I'd love to look at your encode when it hits the site. Would you post the link?

Return to posts index

Avant Guarde
on Nov 16, 2005 at 3:58:13 pm

hey thanks alot, the videos are posted on the net, they're just interviews about mortgages, but feel free to check it out. sorry for the late reply, i've been in FCP world.

http://www.benchmarkbranchpartners.com then click on the video testimonials button. there will be more to come

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]