FORUMS: list search recent posts

compressor 2 question

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jeremy Doyle
compressor 2 question
on Oct 31, 2005 at 9:58:19 pm

I have a timeline that is 2 hr 37 minutes or 157 minutes. I figure I'll just modify one of the compressor presets so I chose the dvd best quality 150 minutes -16x9. It has mpeg 2 3.7 Mbps 2-pass listed, but when I go into the inspector window and look under the quality tap it says it allows up to 118 minutes of video on a DVD-5.

Shouldn't this listing than be for the 120 minute setting? Of course the setting for 120 minutes says 94 minutes in the inspector and the 90 minute says 80.

I have to go all the way down to 2.4 Mbps for the inspector to allow 158 minutes. Why are the presets so off?

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: compressor 2 question
on Nov 2, 2005 at 1:38:34 am

How were you encoding the audio? Note the preset says 150 minutes with Dolby Digital Audio or 120 minutes with AIFF.

Return to posts index

derek woods
on Nov 2, 2005 at 12:04:49 pm

I just did the exact same thing! is that a bad setting? I compressed it out and it was 5 gigs! can some of the experts look at the settings and see what they think?
i don't use dvdsp as much as fcp, so i used an old ken stone article and compressed it that way
http://www.kenstone.net/fcp_homepage/compressor_warmouth.html

it seems weird the first version with a more than 120 preset would be so screwed up.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Doyle
on Nov 2, 2005 at 2:23:04 pm

If I compress the video using this preset the video file doesn't even fit on the disc much less any audio.

But if you must know I was going to use ac3 at 192 in 2/0. Like I said the video file is larger than what will fit on a disc with that preset

Return to posts index

Charles Simonson
on Nov 4, 2005 at 7:50:04 pm

Here is a good bitrate calculator that I like:
http://www.3ivx.com/support/calculator/
It what built for a different format, but the numbers still work for MPEG-2 compression.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Doyle
on Nov 4, 2005 at 8:20:57 pm

I don't mind doing the math, I was just complaining because if the preset says 150 then it should allow 150 not 120.

I liked the mpeg 2 export directly from my timeline where it would estimate my file size as I moved my sliders, but now with newer versions I use compressor and it doesn't have a file size estimater that I know of just the video length calculations.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Nov 4, 2005 at 10:25:29 pm

After inputing your file into Compressor 2 and then either using a preset or making your own, Select the file's setting in the Batch window and look at the Summary in the Inspector window. It will tell you the estimated file size.

I just input a file of 1:15 minutes DV (about 16G) and selected the 150 minutes Best Encode 4:3 preset and it shows me an estimate of 2.03GB after compression.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Doyle
on Nov 6, 2005 at 10:28:35 pm

Thanks for the tip. I didn't know that.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]