FORUMS: list search recent posts

Compression for Windows Media

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
cbrown
Compression for Windows Media
on Oct 14, 2005 at 6:49:39 pm

This is actually a two-part question. I have a video from FCP 4.5 that I want to compress for the web. It was requested that I provide a windows media file. Could anyone recommend the best way to create this type of file from a FCP program? I've tried making it a Quicktime movie first and then bringing that into Cleaner but I continue to get an error message about the encoding.

I also have another question about scaling a video once it has been compressed. I want to get rid some of the ugliness around the edges. Any recommendations on how to enlarge a compressed file?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: Compression for Windows Media
on Oct 16, 2005 at 2:55:59 pm

Short Answer, Flip4Mac

http://www.flip4mac.com/wmv.htm

It works in FCP, FCE, QuicktimePro, iMovie, Cleaner 6, Squeeze 4.1, Compressor 2. It creates WMV9 files. The Pro version can create WMV HD files.
BTW Cleaner 6 only does WMV7 without Flip4Mac. With Flip4Mac it will do WMV9 which will look much better.

In Cleaner 6 and Squeeze 4.1 you can crop the file. Not yet in Compressor 2 unfortunately.

Return to posts index

Ed
Re: Compression for Windows Media
by
on Oct 16, 2005 at 3:10:59 pm

Cleaner produces wmv 7 files. If you want the latest wmv9 you can buy Flip4Mac WMV Studio for $100USD or Popwire has a $30 wmv9 exporter which
works through any QT program (including Cleaner), they also make Compression Master, which is a more complete Cleaner-like program for $500 USD.
For ragged edges, and if you're going to use Cleaner, use Image/Crop/Numeric and crop lines off. It will take the edges off the uncompressed image so
you're not losing quality by scaling a compressed image up.
Ed

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]