FORUMS: list search recent posts

Multiple Bitrate Streaming Video?

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Patrick Inhofer
Multiple Bitrate Streaming Video?
on Oct 3, 2005 at 3:24:08 pm

I'm working with a client on packaging internet streams of some of their content on a monthly basis. Our objective is to streamline the operation as much as possible.

We need to provide Hi and Low speed streaming video of each of their streams. The client was wondering if rather than providing two links, they heard you could provide one file that negotiates with the web browser to provide the best version based on their internet connection.

Can anyone provide me with links (or an explanation) that will educate me on this aspect of streaming? Is it possible and practicle?

TIA

- pi

--
Patrick Inhofer
editor, compositor, nice guy
applePi Editorial, nyc

Return to posts index

Ben Waggoner
Re: Multiple Bitrate Streaming Video?
on Oct 3, 2005 at 6:18:41 pm

Yes, this is supported in all streaming formats one way or another.

For Windows Media, it's called Intelligent Streaming

For RealMedia, it's called SureStream

For QuickTime, it's called QuickTime Movie Alternates

Any decent WM or RM encoding tool will offer you built in support for it. The QuickTime implementation isn't as good and isn't widely supported in modern authoring tools, alas.

Return to posts index

Patrick Inhofer
on Oct 3, 2005 at 8:54:22 pm

Ben,

Thanks for your response.

[Ben Waggoner] "The QuickTime implementation isn't as good and isn't widely supported in modern authoring tools, alas."

When you say the QT implementation isn't as good, do you mean it isn't as reliable?

pi

--
Patrick Inhofer
editor, compositor, nice guy
applePi Editorial, nyc

Return to posts index

RoRK
by
on Oct 4, 2005 at 9:12:21 am

Good thread. I'm wondering what the server requirements are for true streaming. Isn't it pointless/useless to provide a multi-variable file without having an RSTP? An associated Q would be, can a multi-variable be provided off a HTTP Website.

Thanks in advance.

Return to posts index

Ben Waggoner
on Oct 4, 2005 at 3:06:42 pm

To answer both questions:

The QuickTime implementation is weak, since it only works when the file starts. You make a Master file, which contains URLs for each data rate file, and it only switches between them at the start of the session. However, that means that it can work off web servers for progressive download over HTTP. The SureStream and Intelligent Streaming solutions work much better for RTSP, since they can switch between data rates DURING the stream, but they only work with the RealServer or Windows Media Services, respectively.

My Book: http://www.benwaggoner.com/books.htm
Squeeze and ProCoder tutorials: http://www.classondemand.net/benwaggoner/
Compression Class at Stanford: http://www.digitalmediaacademy.org/compression.html

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]