FORUMS: list search recent posts

Windows media encoder 2 gig limit

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Calvin
Windows media encoder 2 gig limit
on Sep 21, 2005 at 1:06:16 pm

Hi all, I'm trying to compressess a self contained clip from final cut (.mov) with WME 9, and the max file size input it'll take is 2 gig, if my source file size is greater than that it'll truncate the output. drive format is NTFS, so no problem there... is this a limitation of Windows media encoder?

thanks.

also - I'm using the G5 as the file server- put a gig-E card in the windows computer, so I don't have to transfer the entire file before encoding, but even if I transfer the +2G .mov DV file first, I still hit the 2gig limit.

Calvin.

Return to posts index

Charles Simonson
Re: Windows media encoder 2 gig limit
on Sep 21, 2005 at 1:52:50 pm

Windows Media Encoder will not accept QuickTime as an input format. You need to export an AVI. Its one of the major hinderences in using WME. So even if you got WME to recognize the full movie, it still wouldn't be able to parse it and encode from it.

Return to posts index

Calvin
on Sep 21, 2005 at 1:57:59 pm

No, I've got several movies on the web right now that were .mov source file compressed with WME. it dosen't show as a source file type in the selector, but just type the file name in or *.mov, and you can compress .mov's just fine.

Calvin.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Sep 21, 2005 at 2:50:45 pm

Doesn't solve your current issue but if you're working on a Mac why not consider using Flip4Mac (or Popwire)? The time and issue savings may more than offset the cost. Flip4Mac can be used inside of Cleaner, Squeeze, Compressor, all of which give you access to additional processing filters.

Return to posts index

Charles Simonson
on Sep 21, 2005 at 4:07:33 pm

You are talking about the free Windows Media Encoder for Windows 2000 and XP right? Are you using some kind of special plugin to use Quicktime movies with it? By default, WME only supports .asf, .avi, .mpg, and .wmv's as source video formats. I'd really like to learn your method for getting .mov's to work with Windows Media Encoder.

Return to posts index

Calvin
on Sep 21, 2005 at 9:49:54 pm

It's just the default install of WME9 from microsoft, on windows XP professional. Always has supported mov's for me... with under 2 GB source files, that is. I also put quicktime on it.

Still though, does anyone know if it'll process movs or avi's above 2GBs? I haven't had any luck- and haven't read about this problem on fourms though.

and about flip4mac and popwire- I'm trying to offload compression to a cheap PC to free up rendering & other compression tasks on the G5 system... and procoder works fine with +2Gb files, but was giving me jerky results at low bitrates that WME handled quite smoothly...

Calvin.

Return to posts index

Ben Waggoner
on Sep 21, 2005 at 11:19:39 pm

It's probably defaulting to the DirectShow .MOV parser, using the DirectShow DV codec. There is a 2GB limit for QuickTime source for that.

I'd recommend you buy Canopus's ProCoder. It does great MOV to WMV, including big files, runs on Windows, and is really a superset of WME in terms of functionality.

My Book: http://www.benwaggoner.com/books.htm
Squeeze and ProCoder tutorials: http://www.classondemand.net/benwaggoner/
Compression Class at Stanford: http://www.digitalmediaacademy.org/compression.html

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]