FORUMS: list search recent posts

Compressing 24p

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Derek Doublin
Compressing 24p
on Sep 18, 2005 at 9:53:25 pm

I have a Quicktime source file that is: DVCPRO HD 720p at 24 frames per second

and I'm having a hard time compressing it into either a Windows Media file or a Realplayer file.

I need to compress it into one of the two with a preference towards Realplayer.

Sorenson Squeeze, Popwire Compression Master, and Apple's Compressor (with the Real Player and Flip4Mac plug ins) all FAIL when I try to compress that file. They work with every other source file but this one. Applke's Compressor works fine when I compress it into another Quicktime movie or an MP4.

I tried exportingmy source file into an Uncompressed Quicktime movie but everything still fails.

Is it the fact that the file is 24 FPS that confuses the compression programs?
Do compression programs dislike 24 FPS video?

Return to posts index

Kay Johansson
Re: Compressing 24p
on Sep 19, 2005 at 10:39:26 am

Hi Derek,

This seems very strange. I can't talk for the other vendors but the source file you have should work in Compression Master. I'm pretty sure it should work in the others as well, the type of file you have is pretty common.

If you contact our support (go to our site) we can at least take a look at the file to see if it's something we can correct on our side.

BR, Kay
Popwire

Return to posts index

johan skaneby
on Sep 19, 2005 at 11:08:19 pm

Our supportteam has confirmed that that a 720P24 DVC PRO 100 generated with the very same settings as a Quicktime Movie from Final Cut Pro 5 is working and can be encoded with Compression Master 3.1.2.

Your problem can have several reasons, one is the naming convention, another might be your Quicktime and OSX version as well. How was your file generated / supplied to you?

We used QT 7.02 , FCP 5 and Tiger OSX 10.4.2

We know however that HDV 24P is not yet supported by Quicktime and therefore will not be supported by Compression Master 3.1.2 since we are using the same QT importer.

If you have any further problems do not hesitate to contact our support team,

All best /johan skaneby , Popwire

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Sep 19, 2005 at 11:56:54 am

Hi Derek,

I've used Compressor 2 with both Real and Flip4Mac without issue. I haven't tried DVCProHD 24p though. I remember having some issues with Real and Tiger and will get a fail using QuicktimePro but I've done it in Compressor 2 though. Flip4Mac should work fine though. If you head over to Flip4Mac support
http://www.flip4mac.com/fusetalk/forum/
and post the issue there I can have a look at your file and see "waz up."

Return to posts index

Kay Johansson
on Sep 21, 2005 at 2:04:27 pm

Hi

We'll take a look at this. Derek if you find the time please mail our support so we get a ticket on this.

BR, Kay
Popwire

Return to posts index

Kay Johansson
on Sep 22, 2005 at 12:54:35 pm

Hi Derek,

I think we have found the "issue".

From the Real SDK documentation

-- [ snip ] --
Height of the final encoded output must be divisible by the number of pixels suitable for the output codec. For RealVideo, the width and height must be divisible by 4 pixels (e.g. 32, 36, 40, ... 2048). If videoFrameHeight is not an even increment of that supported by the codec, the video is cropped down to the nearest multiple that is supported as input to the codec just prior to encoding but after all prefiltering and resizing have occurred.

-- [ snip ] --

The approcah we have at Popwire is however that we shall not rescale or pad (without the user knowing) if we run into such an issue with any format, so therefore it will render an error message. If this is the right approach I don't know, but this is how we do it. However the error message should give a clear description and not some other obsure thing so we will make sure to correct that.

BR, Kay
Popwire

Return to posts index

Derek Doublin
on Sep 23, 2005 at 2:49:26 pm

Wow! Thanks for all the help! I'll let you know if everything works out.
This forum is GREAT!!

Return to posts index

Derek Doublin
on Oct 13, 2005 at 5:55:45 am

I have tried everything and I cannot get a single compression program to export this file.
The official information of the file is as follows:
------------------------------------------------
Format:
DVCPRO HD vout 720p60 imdc, 720 x 480, Millions
16-bit Integer (Big Endian), Stereo, 48.000 kHz

FPS: 23.98

Data Size:
1.41 GB

Data Rate:
47.60 mbits/sec

Duration:
00:04:15:12

Size:
720 X 480 pixels
------------------------------------------------

I need to compress it into a Windows Media File or a Real Player File.
I got Sorenson Squeeze to compress it into a Real Player file but no matter what I do it won't include sound!

HEEELLLPPPPP!!!!!!!!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]