FORUMS: list search recent posts

Best method to compress DVCPRO HD to DVD?

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Barlow Elton
Best method to compress DVCPRO HD to DVD?
on Aug 17, 2005 at 4:33:08 am

I need to convert a DVCPRO HD 23.98p clip into a properly cadenced NTSC clip, and then convert to DVD. I've tried downconverting the clip in a FCP DV timeline, and while the program will properly letterbox the footage and convert to DV, it adds an incorrect 2:3 pulldown cadence that can be fairly annoying to watch.

I know it isn't ideal to convert to DV and then to MPEG 2, but I thought it would be a simple way to make a decent quickie DVD. I can use FCP or Compressor and covert to any QT codec, but does anyone know the best method to create a proper pulldown of the footage?

Thanks for any reply.

Return to posts index

Charles Simonson
Re: Best method to compress DVCPRO HD to DVD?
on Aug 17, 2005 at 4:33:30 pm

Have you tried using CinemaTools yet?

BTW, the best way to encode to DVD MPEG-2 IMO would be to use either Compressor 2, Compression Master 3.1, or MainConcept Encoder. Just take your DVCPROHD clip and scale it down and encode to 720x480 MPEG-2 with pulldown enabled directly with any of the above mentioned apps. Unless you want to add the letterboxing to the actual MPEG-2 files, which I see no reason to do actually, converting to another format first is an unnecessary step and waste of time. Encoding to 720x480 16:9 will give you much better quality than 720x480 4:3, plus it will play correctly on both standard and widescreen TVs (with proper adjustment of the DVD player's settings of course).

Return to posts index

Barlow Elton
Re: Best method to compress DVCPRO HD to DVD?
on Aug 17, 2005 at 5:23:55 pm

Thanks Charles, I'll try it in Compressor 2.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]