FORUMS: list search recent posts

NikonQT to mpeg1 transcoding

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
alan lacey
NikonQT to mpeg1 transcoding
on Aug 12, 2005 at 7:37:59 pm

I work in the medical field and a number of my collegues use small digital still/video cams for clinical work.

Invariably these video clips end up in powerpoint and so need to be transcoded to some MS powerpoint friendly codec.

Is there and free or inexpensive software available to trancode these small QT movs to something that MS is happier with?

Thanks for any advice

Alan (London)

Return to posts index

Charles Simonson
Re: NikonQT to mpeg1 transcoding
on Aug 12, 2005 at 8:07:42 pm

For free tools, I like ffmpegX on the mac.

Return to posts index

alan lacey
on Aug 13, 2005 at 2:06:34 pm

Thanks Charles,

problem is that most of these guys are Windows.

Alan

Return to posts index

Charles Simonson
on Aug 13, 2005 at 3:14:50 pm

In that case, there is the free TMPGEnc and the very affordable and powerful ProCoder Express ($50) from Canopus.

Return to posts index

alan lacey
on Aug 14, 2005 at 6:01:20 pm

Thanks Charles,

I experimeted with TMPGEnc but you need a plugin to read the QT files. I downloaded a freebie plug called QTReader which sort of works -the resulting mpg1 files play well in QT but are very flakey in WMP (and presumabably PowerPoint)

I'll give the lite ProCoder a go, but I don't think my collegues will like the idea of SPENDING on this!

Regards

Alan

Return to posts index

Charles Simonson
on Aug 14, 2005 at 10:33:24 pm

What do you mean by "flaky"? Stability issues that you may be noting could be due to QT being installed and it wanting to takeover playback from the desktop. Inside of PPT, that wouldn't be an issue. Also, make sure the extension TMPGEnc generates is .mpg, not .mpeg. Older versions of WMP don't like that extension. Also, in ProCoder Express' case, $50 for a good peice of encoding software like that is way underpriced.

Return to posts index

alan lacey
on Aug 15, 2005 at 4:24:16 pm

Agree with you about the value of ProCoder xpress but my crowd wont be interested.

The 'flakey' playback that I mentioned was a macroblock breakup with green blocks in places too, vertical instability and loss of audio synch when played on the PC with MS software. QT on the same PC was perfect! Just one of those things I suppose.

Alan

Return to posts index

alan lacey
on Aug 15, 2005 at 4:27:40 pm

Sorry, forgot to mention. Same playback problems in PPT.

Alan

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]