FORUMS: list search recent posts

Issues with Cleaner and FCP Exports

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matt Warren
Issues with Cleaner and FCP Exports
on Aug 9, 2005 at 4:32:41 pm

I'm exporting reference clips from FCP for compression in Cleaner. Some of the files compress...others stop without making it to the end of the exported clip. I don't think the issue is with FCP...I'm exporting the same way to Squeeze with no errors. If I preview my exports in Cleaner, the entire clips are viewable...so there must be some issue going on with Cleaner during compression. Any suggestions?

Return to posts index

LukeinVT
Re: Issues with Cleaner and FCP Exports
on Aug 9, 2005 at 5:42:38 pm

I have no answers to your question but actually a few of my own.

Are you running Tiger?
The reason I ask is because we have Tiger at work. Basically, we upgraded to Tiger mid project. We assumed the project was done, but after the upgrade our Test DVD came back with a few minor corrections. We fixed the sequences in FCP, re exported FCP movie files and encoded them in Compressor, the same exact work flow as we had used before the upgrade. Our new MPEG-2's were a disaster, frames jumping all over the place during pans and zooms, very strange, and no amount of tweaking worked. I even tried Cleaner, but I have never been happy with their MPEG-2 encodes. Cleaner did not help at all.

You know what did work? I brought the FCP movie files home and encoded them on my system running 10.3.9

There is one other variable, we are running FCP 5 Studio at work, I am running FCP HD 4.5 here. So Based on these last few days, either there is a problem with FCP % studio or Tiger

Why are you using Cleaner instead of Compressor or Squeeze?

Return to posts index

Ben Waggoner
on Aug 9, 2005 at 11:14:43 pm

Cleaner on Mac is absolutely known to produce corrupt output, and it's slow and ugly anyway. No reason to use it.

Compressor 2 has worked quite nicely for me, under 10.4.x, for DVD authoring. Could you give some more details as to what you're doing? Possibly a field inversion?

My Book: http://www.benwaggoner.com/books.htm
Squeeze and ProCoder tutorials: http://www.classondemand.net/benwaggoner/
Compression Class at Stanford: http://www.digitalmediaacademy.org/compression.html

Return to posts index

LukeinVT
on Aug 9, 2005 at 11:40:10 pm

Not sure if that question was for me, but if you've been having no problems maybe there's something wrong on our computer.

Keep in mind I only use this particular computer once in a while so I do not know everything about it.

Basically we were doing a DVD for the chemestry department. Our editor was using FCP4 to edit on a 10.3.x system. He got the projects to what we thought was a done state and rendered out Final Cut Pro Movie Files. I then took those files into Compressor 1.2. I created a custom preset based on the MPEG@ encode preset. The only thing I changed from the preset was the field order, bottom first as this is DV footage, and I cahnged it to 2 pass VBR 6 average 7 max. These encodes looked very good, no field order issues, no ugly artifacts, and I sent the beta off to be spot checked by the department. Our editor, anxious to install the recently purhased upgrades, fitted the system with Tiger and FCP 5 Studio. Several weeks later we got the beta disc back with a reedit list. So in the interest of time I tackled the revisions myself, re-exported the Final Cut Pro Movie files, dropped them into compressor, ran a batch based on the 60 minute high quality MPEG-2 preset. Again, all I changed was the field order and the data rate. I got some very ugly artifacts, and issues that looked a little like field order issues, so I ran a tests, field order top, bottom and none, at various data rates and various GOP structures, all giving me the same unacceptable results. I did some other tests, if you'd like to hear what other lengths I went to to fix this problem I'll chronicle them, but...

So, I took my work home where I have 10.3.9 and Compressor 1.2. Figuring it couldn't hurt, I ran an encode again based on the MPEG2 Preset, changed the field order and changed the data rate to 6avg 7max. Vola, the encodes look great. All three chapters that had to be reedited looked like crap encoded on a G% with Tiger and FCP5 Studio, including Compressor 1.2.1. On my G$ Powerbook, OSX 10.3.9 Compressor 1.2.1 I got encodes that looked very good and had none of the seeemingly random issues that had me pulling my hair out.

Return to posts index

LukeinVT
on Aug 9, 2005 at 11:43:34 pm

Wow, is there an edit button?

System specs at work G5, Tiger, FCP5 Studio, Compressor 2.0
System Specs at home G4, Panther, FCP HD 4.5, Compressor 1.2.1

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Aug 10, 2005 at 5:43:34 pm

Update Compressor to 2.0.1 just in case. I've heard that some folks have had issues using old presets (for Compressor 1.2) with Compressor 2. Have you tried creating a new preset?

Return to posts index

LukeinVT
on Aug 10, 2005 at 6:01:21 pm

Just got the Compressor update, have not tried any encodes yet.

Yes, I created a new preset based on the HQ 60 min encode, changed the field order and bitrate.

I do not know what you mean "old presets for 1.2" It seems that Compressor 2 has about 3 times as many factory presets. Are some of these left over from an earlier version?

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Aug 12, 2005 at 3:59:04 pm

I've heard people had issues when using the old MPEG2 presets which get moved to the "Custom" folder when you upgrade form Compressor 1.2x to 2.0x

Return to posts index

Ethan Wolvek
on Sep 14, 2005 at 9:31:35 pm

I'm having the same problem. No matter what bit-rate I use in Compressor 2.x, I get blocking and bad artifacts whereas the same bit-rate in Compressor 1.x yielded much better results with similar footage.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]