FORUMS: list search recent posts

Compatiblity issue....

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
drew conner
Compatiblity issue....
on Jul 25, 2005 at 2:32:13 am

I have been having numerous problems with quicktime movies playing on other peoples computers, mainly PC's. I am compressiong with Final Cut Pro HD and when i go to compress I use Quciktime Conversion. I have tried all of the different settings; Lan high medium and low. But nothing seems to work. I can play the movies back fine on my computer but when a friend tries to watch them it says they do not have the right software installed and it is NOT available ont eh quicktime site. However, they can hear the audio for the whole movie just cannot see the video. Any hints?

Return to posts index

Charles Simonson
Re: Compatiblity issue....
on Jul 25, 2005 at 3:14:05 am

What video codec are you encoding to? Sounds like you are using video codec that isn't installed on the PC. Also, you can try taking your encodes to a PC with QT Pro installed where the movie does play fine and choose to do a Save As. I have seen instances where just resaving a movie on the PC will solve the problem.

Return to posts index

drew conner
on Jul 25, 2005 at 4:27:16 am

I am really not too sure what codec I am useing, Is there a certain one that is more compatible than others? Which woudl you recommend I use for viewrs on both PC and MAC

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jul 26, 2005 at 3:13:39 pm

When you use Quicktime Conversion, set it to Quicktime, click on Options. It defaults to H.264 Compression. You DON'T want that since only Quicktime 7 can play that and most Windows boxes don't have it and the version that's out is only a "preview" version. Click on Settings and change to Sorenson or Sorenson 3 (better). The Windows box will have to have Quicktime (6).

The alternative would be to create WMV. You could do that if you bought Flip4Mac

Return to posts index

drew conner
on Aug 1, 2005 at 8:26:01 pm

Thank you so much!! IT definitly works now on other peoples computers. THe only problem i am having now is keeping the file size small. It is pretty big when useing this codec. Any hints or help?

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Aug 2, 2005 at 12:54:56 pm

[drew conner] "Thank you so much!! IT definitly works now on other peoples computers. THe only problem i am having now is keeping the file size small. It is pretty big when useing this codec. Any hints or help?"

"small" is a relative thing. Think of your "target" audience. If it's higher speed broadband you might want a frame size of 320x240 and around 500kbps/s at the source frame rate (29.97fps for NTSC) and do 2 pass VBR for best quality. If you want smaller you'll have to think about which corners to cut (frame size - data rate - frame rate) but these will affect "quality" in some way. What's an "acceptible" impact is subjectively up to you.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]