FORUMS: list search recent posts

variable bit rate for streaming flvs with FlashCom

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
chuckjr
variable bit rate for streaming flvs with FlashCom
on Jul 18, 2005 at 5:42:15 am

This is my first post.

I bought Ben Waggoner's compressing with Squeeze 4 DVD and in it he says not to use VBR for streaming. Up until now, I've been using VBR for creating flvs that stream from the Flash Communication Server and they seem to work just fine. I know that the bit rate goes up for the frames that are harder to compress but I've been using a 3 second buffer to smooth out the peaks.

I haven't run into any problems but I'm wondering if there something else I should be considering.

Thanks,
Chuck

Please excuse my English. I'm from Minnesota.

Return to posts index

Nick L.
Re: variable bit rate for streaming flvs with FlashCom
on Aug 1, 2005 at 3:44:01 pm

Hi Chuck. I have a client asking about streaming a meeting (lectures, yeah!). I've been looking into the Flash FLV format. You seem to have some experience with it. Any suggestions, warnings, etc? If you want to send email directly my address is nlammers@mediamillinc.com. Thanks.

Nick Lammers
Media Mill, Inc.
St. Louis, MO

Media 100i XS 8.2.1
Dual 1Ghz G4

Return to posts index

chuckjr
Re: variable bit rate for streaming flvs with FlashCom
on Aug 2, 2005 at 4:53:54 pm

Hi Nick,

Flash and FlashCom can do a great job of streaming meetings live and/or archiving them for later viewing. The nice thing about FlashCom is that because you build the app yourself, you can brand the interface however you like. For Corporate clients, this is a great advantage.

Use one of the national FlashCom server companies (unless you want to get into the server business) and be sure to get Sorenson Squeeze for Flash. It's the best program for compressing your video. Also, start with the "cleanest" video source you can. In other words, don't compress a file that has already been compressed or is a copy of a VHS tape.

Good luck,
Chuck

Please excuse my English. I'm from Minnesota.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]