FORUMS: list search recent posts

If there a way to convert a PAL mpeg2 into a NATC mpeg2 without going to DV first

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Benton
If there a way to convert a PAL mpeg2 into a NATC mpeg2 without going to DV first
on Jul 17, 2005 at 6:11:19 pm

I work at a commercial production company. We are trying to donwload mpeg2's incoded in PAL off of a site called BEAMTV. I want to use the clips to build NTSC DVD's. The audio on the MPEGs are muxed so use a prgram called media stream to demux them.

Media stream also offers me the ability to convert the MPEG to DV and then I can use compressor 2 or QT7 (whichever does it better?)to convert the PAL DV to NTSC DV. Then I can make a NTSC MPEG from that. What I want to be able to do, is go straight from the PAL MPEG to NTSC MPEG. Any ideas?

Return to posts index

Charles Simonson
Re: If there a way to convert a PAL mpeg2 into a NATC mpeg2 without going to DV first
on Jul 20, 2005 at 2:11:26 pm

You definitely don't want to go to DV as an intermediary format. For an intermediary, the only two compressed codecs I would consider are QT Photo-JPEG for progressive, and QT MJPEG for interlaced. But, you probably don't need to use an intermediary anyway, as most compression suites can take PAL MPEG-2 and convert it to whatever format you want. I tested a PAL MPEG-2 and used it in Compressor 2 and Compression Master 3.1, and both did the conversion to 23.98 (w/ pulldown) and 29.97 just fine. Of course, you will need to recompress the movie, but the resulting quality I got from 5mbps encodes was very good, considering what I was working from. I am pretty sure ProCoder 2 can handle MPEG-2 sources as well on the PC.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]