COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Arty
trying to get the best compression
by
on Jul 11, 2005 at 6:01:11 pm

aaaaahh...boyeeeee
this compression thing is not easy...

ok i bought sorenson squeeze 4.1 then i bought flip4mac...
only to find out that i can only do a single pass cbr...not my real problem though...

i'm doing a preview video for a client...
it's 30 secs
its a quicktime file they want converted to wmv these are they're requirements (320X240 Multibit-rate; 56k, DSL, LAN)

so i do a single pass compression at the med program setting and the file is a whopping 3.5mb
this can't be right...can it ?

i've tried everything but the only thing i get is cruddy video...

any ideas as to what i'm doing wrong or for the positive folks out there what i'm not doing right ?

by the way checked all kinds of searches and all i cna find out is that flip4mac and sorenson don't play nice so i don't even know if i got anything working correctly...

thanks so much
arty

Return to posts index

Charles Simonson
Re: trying to get the best compression
on Jul 12, 2005 at 2:52:45 am

I would suggest the Flip4Mac forum for your query ( http://www.flip4mac.com/fusetalk/forum/ ). I haven't had the issue you speak of with the F4M encoder (it usually does a pretty good job of achieving its targeted bitrates). And in my experience, Sorenson 4.1 and F4M Pro 1.0.5 work pretty well once you get everything rolling smoothly (admittedly, that can take some tinkering).

Oh, wait, let me guess, you are using QT to tell you what the datarate is, aren't you? You actually can't trust that number. Take a look at the actual encoded file-size through the Finder, and then do the appropriate math. I doubt the file is really that far off the target.

As far as Mulit-bitrate encoding, the only way to do that natively on the mac is with Popwire Compression Master 3.1.

Return to posts index

Arty
by
on Jul 12, 2005 at 1:12:18 pm

thanks...

the thing that really throws me off...is in squeeze it still allows you to choose all the options even though with the standard version of f4m you can't do a 2-pass...

but if you choose any of those options (even by accident) it locks up the program...

sigh

thanks anyway

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jul 12, 2005 at 1:19:10 pm

[Arty] "the thing that really throws me off...is in squeeze it still allows you to choose all the options even though with the standard version of f4m you can't do a 2-pass...

but if you choose any of those options (even by accident) it locks up the program..."

Yup, it's a Squeeze "issue" and the folks at Telestream/Flip4Mac have reported it to them. For the time being avoid MBR, WMV7, WMV8 for example. I suspect Squeeze simply including all the Windows settings in the Mac version of the program even though these settings are not yet supported.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jul 12, 2005 at 1:15:49 pm

If you have Flip4Mac Studio Pro you can do 2 Pass CBR and 2 Pass VBR.

The presets are really just starting points or something to use if you don't know where you're headed. They've given you targets though (56k, DSL, LAN). Bit rates MIGHT be (there are variables even with these targets depending on source and actual conditions) 32kbps/s, 400kbps/s, 1400kbps/s - these are just ballparks to try - your needs may vary.

MBR with Flip4Mac and Squeeze is not yet working.

Return to posts index

Arty
by
on Jul 12, 2005 at 2:48:03 pm

thanks very much
i already have made much progress...

although not a compression whiz...

my best bet has been to just keep playing with the numbers and get them to where i need them...

you've been very helpful

Return to posts index

Ben Waggoner
on Jul 14, 2005 at 3:10:50 pm

On the specific point of multi-bitrate encoding, Compression Master 3.1 is the only Mac tool that can encode to "Intelligent Streaming" so far.

My Book: http://www.benwaggoner.com/books.htm
Squeeze and ProCoder tutorials: http://www.classondemand.net/benwaggoner/
Compression Class at Stanford: http://www.digitalmediaacademy.org/compression.html

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jul 14, 2005 at 4:55:40 pm

and to add to Ben's comments on MBR on the Mac . . .

If you have Squeeze 4.1 for the Mac. The manual mentions MBR. You can even control click on Window Media Video Format and set up an MBR encode. The results of that encode though is not MBR. The "powers that be" are aware and hope that changes in the near future.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]