FORUMS: list search recent posts

What compression settings does Hollywood use for their on-line trailers?

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jared
What compression settings does Hollywood use for their on-line trailers?
on Jun 29, 2005 at 6:43:55 pm

Hello,

I've been exporting short videos for the web from FCP HD as MPEG-4 files using Compression. With the settings I use ( http://tinyurl.com/bpk9j ), a minute long video ends up being about 3-4 megs, which is a great size but it looks pixelated and crappy. How can I get it to look good in an average size window (400 X 225) but keep the file size small (under 5 megs per minute). I know it's possible because all the new movie trailers are at least a minute long, they're in a good size window, they look really good, they play in Mac and PCs, and they take very little time to download/view. Whats their secret?

Thanks in advance,

Jared

Return to posts index

Lee Burrows
Re: What compression settings does Hollywood use for their on-line trailers?
on Oct 14, 2005 at 8:41:24 pm

Hey Jared,

I am in search of this too and if I ever find anything I'll let you know. The thing that makes sense though so far that I have found is generally the smaller the file the crappier the images:(

I can tell you this though...most movie trailers that you view are hosted on their FTP sites and I can almost assuredly guarantee you that they are over 5 megs a minute. If you download it then check the file size after it is downloaded. We will from time to time put a video on our site and the ones that we compress for our site good quality compressions that are over 5 megs a minute.

One last question...foot long or 6 inches...sub that is;)

Later

Lee

G5 Mac OS X
Dual 2.0 GHz
FCP 4.5 HD
XServe Raid 1 Terabyte

G5 Mac OS X
Dual 2.3 GHz
FCP 5.02 Studio
G-Tech G Raid 500 GBs
2 - Lacie Drives 200 GBs

Return to posts index

Lee Burrows
Re: What compression settings does Hollywood use for their on-line trailers?
on Oct 14, 2005 at 9:31:33 pm

Jared,

Grab a sub, seat and read this article from ken stone. <http://www.kenstone.net/fcp_homepage/qt_movies_from_fcp.html>
It should shed some light!!

Good Luck

Lee

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]