FORUMS: list search recent posts

MPEG4 QT error on website

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steve Bayes
MPEG4 QT error on website
on Jun 23, 2005 at 7:20:31 pm

Hi All,

I have a screen capture video which I compressed to MPEG4 using Sonenson Squeeze 4.1. It looks great -- sharper than Sorenson 3, but when I upload it to my website I get an error when users click on it -- something like QT doesn't support this MPEG4 codec. You click through the error (which occurs only on PC's trying to play it not Mac) and then it plays!

So we have switched over to Sorenson 3 which plays cross platform with no errors, but the MPEG4 just looked better. What was going on? No MPEG4 on PC versions of QT?

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Charles Simonson
Re: MPEG4 QT error on website
on Jun 24, 2005 at 4:00:42 pm

Well, Sorenson Squeeze's MPEG4 output shouldn't look better than its SV3 output, but that is another matter (for MPEG-4, only Compression Master 3's encoder output approaches SV3 IMO). It sounds like you encoded to MPEG-4 using Advanced profile, but since you can ultimately play the video anyway, maybe that's not the case. Have you tried hosting the file on the web in a .mov container rather than a .mp4, if that's what you're doing?

Return to posts index

Steve Bayes
on Jun 24, 2005 at 8:59:44 pm

Can I change the host by just changing the extension?

What is the advanced profile?

Thanks.

Steve B.

Return to posts index

Charles Simonson
on Jun 25, 2005 at 2:38:07 pm

Can I change the host by just changing the extension?
No. You need to open the movie in QT Pro, choose to delete the two MPEG-4 profile tracks (the non video/audio tracks) from the Edit menu, and then choose to do a Save As. Once you save this new file, you will have a proper QT .mov movie.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]