FORUMS: list search recent posts

Please help! Client waiting for answer!

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Eric Steinberg
Please help! Client waiting for answer!
on Jun 23, 2005 at 8:40:49 am

Hello,

I've delivered to a client an FLV flash video (320 x 240) which is 21 Mb. The video is 2 minutes 56 seconds long, and the quality is good. Audio is mono. I used Sorenson Squeeze to compress a lossless 25 fps 320 x 240 QT. The client who is in charge of their website is now saying that they think that the filesize is too large, causing buffering pauses during playback, and I am wondering if you experts agree? Is it possible to make a 3 min 320 x 240 FLV with good quality any smaller than 21 Mb? Or can I safely tell them that for a video that long, it has to be that large to maintain good quality?

They are now also wondering if they would rather use wmv, which from what I understand can have multiple qualities in the same file to accomodate for different connection speeds. Would I get a smaller filesize for similar quality if I go that route?

I am desperate for an answer since this needs to go online asap, and this is one of my biggest clients to date. So any insight would be highly appreciated! :-)

Kind regards,
Eric

Return to posts index

Charles Simonson
Re: Please help! Client waiting for answer!
on Jun 24, 2005 at 3:56:06 pm

With proper Flash scripting, you should be able to adjust the bandwidth and sizes of a FLV video just like you would a WMV with Intellistream controls. As far as size, 21MB is a bit large for 320x240 video; ideally, you wouldn't go any larger than 12-18MB for 3 minutes.

Return to posts index

Eric Steinberg
on Jun 25, 2005 at 6:20:33 am

Thank you for your reply!

I will try to change some of the settings in Sorensen Squeeze to try to get the filesize down. My first thought is to change the audio to 22KHz from 44.1Khz, but this video is very much dependant on good sound, so I'm a little apprehensive, plus I don't know that this will reduce the file size very much. Which parameters in Sorenson Squeeze do you suggest I prioritize changing to bring the filesize down and maintain quality?

Kind regards,
Eric

Return to posts index

Charles Simonson
on Jun 25, 2005 at 2:32:17 pm

If good sound is important, then the lowest I would go is 22KHz 64Kbps. As far as adjusting other parameters to get the size down, obviously the target average bitrate should be your main focus. Next, I would look into converting the framerate from full to half.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]