FORUMS: list search recent posts

Compression Master plays fine on PC, doesn't on Mac

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John vandewege
Compression Master plays fine on PC, doesn't on Mac
on Jun 16, 2005 at 6:54:19 pm

Background: We shoot in DVCAM, edit with FCP4.5 and output 720x480 movies for compressing. For the longest time we suffered through Cleaner to make Real files. Occasionaly we'd use Squeeze for QT and Flash files. The mandate to produce Windows media led me to Compression Master. The quality is great and the interface is very intuitive.

Problem: We (the Tribune Corp.) use a program called Assembler to upload our files to an Akamai streaming server. In recent weeks these files have refused to playback on Macs only--both inside and outside of our firewall. PC playback--no problem. The IT guys say it has to do with Macs desire to use HTTP protocol and not TCP for streaming video. I started with a CM streaming template and tweaked as I saw fit. But nowhere within the app did I see how I can dictate these preferences of behavior.

I'm trying to narrow this down. I know how to shoot, write and edit but the science of compression is sometimes a dark art for me. BTW, I too did have a problem with the 50% slow playback that was mentioned a few days back (fractional vs. fixed) but it hasn't reoccured.

Here's a link to a couple files on our server that are not playing back on a Mac. Any suggestions are welcome.

http://www.latimes.com/la-playbacktest1-wmv.wmvfile
http://www.latimes.com/la-playbacktest3-wmv.wmvfile

Return to posts index

Charles Simonson
Re: Compression Master plays fine on PC, doesn't on Mac
on Jun 16, 2005 at 7:34:43 pm

First, make sure you update to Compression Master 3.1. It offers many enhancements and fixes over 3.0. Second, macs do have an issue with the TCP streaming protocol and Windows Media. Third, CM 3.1 added support for Windows Media Intellistream and MBR encoding, and you should check out those controls as well. Fourth, if you are still having issues, I would highly suggest contact Popwire's support directly (support@popwire.com). They are very quick to respond usually, so that is a good route. Fifth, I don't have a mac to test with at this moment, but when I get back on one tonight, I will try and test this out and see if there is anything further I can do for you.

Return to posts index

John vandewege
on Jun 16, 2005 at 7:51:04 pm

Thanks for the quick response. Yes, I did get the 3.1 update. Where do access Intelistream controls?

Return to posts index

Charles Simonson
on Jun 17, 2005 at 3:04:38 am

I would contact Popwire to see if they can provide a solution. MBR encoding can be accessed when linking mulitple settings, either in the settings list or batch area. Look in the manual for a how to.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jun 17, 2005 at 2:38:37 am

Hmm, it plays back fine on my Mac as progressive download using Flip4Mac Player plugin in Quicktime 7.0.1, OS 10.3.9

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]