FORUMS: list search recent posts

Cross Platform Compression

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Trugmolly
Cross Platform Compression
on Jun 14, 2005 at 11:06:04 am

I was wondering about high res compression for pc viewing but also some codec that is suitable for Macs. Both old systems and new ones.
I use pc myself but at school they have new and old macs.
I know that a machine would have to have the correct codec installed for it to play back.
My question is this. What is a good choice I use Hufffy as an intermidiate. I would like to produce
version that as I say will play on anything but keep as much quaity as possible. File size is not
really an issue as I work with short animations and deliver on dvd or Cd rom or memory Pen.

I am reasonably familiar with compression and bitrates etc it is just that I have never actualy used some of the codecs like Cinepack or similar. The list of default codecs with say quicktime compression when outputting from After Effects are strangerst to me.

Thanks in advance for any pointers

Peter

Return to posts index

Ed
Re: Cross Platform Compression
by
on Jun 14, 2005 at 4:01:32 pm

If file size is not an issue, but compatibility with old PCs and Macs is, then MPEG1 is the most universal choice. Highly compressed, it doesn't compare well to WMV or QT, but it still looks pretty good when it's not squeezed too much. Otherwise you'll have to consider a codec that won't play on some machines without the viewer installing the codec. You could also compress to 2 formats, say Windows Media 9 (which has amazing quality) for PCs (95%+ of the world) and Quicktime/Sorenson3 for Macs. Let the viewer decide which to use.
Ed

Return to posts index

Trugmolly
Re: Cross Platform Compression
on Jun 14, 2005 at 4:36:14 pm

Thanks
That is helpfull. I will experiment with Sorenson. I recently formatted and
have not reinstalled Media 9.

Of post slightly but still closely related. A short clip of uncompressed video footage for experimenting with compression and settings etc would be
a handy thing to have: Fast motion cut to static text or something like a test card would be really usefull. I dont guess that there may be sites where one could obtain such a piece of footage ?

Thanks again
Peter

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]