FORUMS: list search recent posts

Compression Master 3.1 support for Sorenson3 Pro?

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
DefinitionSF
Compression Master 3.1 support for Sorenson3 Pro?
on Jun 9, 2005 at 11:02:50 pm

I just downloaded the long awaited 3.1 version of Compression Master. I've been looking forward to the Sorenson/QuickTime support of the new version. So I downloaded the demo version, and (first of all) video exported to Sorenson3 plays back in slow-motion. My BIGGEST concern is that there doesn't seem to be an option for 2-pass VBR with the installed SV3PRO codec.

Has anyone else tried the new version with SV3PRO? I really want to ditch Cleaner and move to CM, but I need Sorenson VBR. Anybody have any experience with the new Compression Master 3.1?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Charles Simonson
Re: Compression Master 3.1 support for Sorenson3 Pro?
on Jun 10, 2005 at 1:24:02 am

Compression Master 3.1 does not support 2-pass VBR Sorenson Video 3 encoding with the SV3 Pro QT plugin. It only supports one-pass VBR SV3 encoding with the SV3 Pro QT plugin. But here's the thing, because Compression Master's preprocessing and filters are so strong, the quality of the output from CM 3.1 easily rivals that of Sorenson Squeeze and Cleaner 6 doing 2-pass, believe it not. Especially if you need to scale your video any, the results look even more impressive. Plus, because CM is multithreaded, the speed of encoding to SV3 and other codecs is very fast and makes you feel very good about your G5 purchase.

As far as the slow playback, can you post here or email me your settings? Also, the Popwire support staff is very good, and I would suggest writing them an email about your issues.

Return to posts index

DefinitionSF
on Jun 10, 2005 at 7:58:43 pm

Thanks for the info on Sorenson 1-pass VBR...still working on matching the quality of the 2-pass VBR from Cleaner.

The slow playback issue seems to be related to the fixed vs. fractional frame rate option. When outputting QuickTime (Sorenson) or Windows Media files using a FIXED frame rate of 15fps (from a 29.97fps source), the files playback at half speed, and the duration of the clip is doubled. Using FRACTIONAL frame rate outputs files that playback correctly at the lower frame rate. RealVideo seems to be immune from this issue.

I've posted some sample clips to illustrate the case:
http://www.definitionstudio.com/compressionmaster/VideoTest20_fixed15fps.mo...
http://www.definitionstudio.com/compressionmaster/VideoTest20_fractional15f...
http://www.definitionstudio.com/compressionmaster/VideoTest20_fixed15fps.wm...
http://www.definitionstudio.com/compressionmaster/VideoTest20_fractional15f...

This is not a big deal if you're always going to 15fps from 30fps, but that's not always the case. I'm going to submit this to Popwire tech support also.

BTW, this is on Mac OS 10.3.8 with QuickTime 6.5.2, Compression Master 3.1

http://www.definitionstudio.com

Return to posts index

Charles Simonson
on Jun 10, 2005 at 11:32:12 pm

Hmmm, that is interesting. I never once noticed that during my beta testing of CM 3.1, but then again I usually select the fractional framerate option when losing frames for encoding. I usually do so because going from 29.97 to 14.98 produces better motion than 29.97 to 15. I'll do some tests this weekend to verify. What is your input format?

Return to posts index

DefinitionSF
on Jun 11, 2005 at 1:20:23 am

Input format is DV/DVCPRO - NTSC, 720 x 480, Millions

Thanks for checking it out...I haven't had any luck with a workaround thus far. I submitted a trouble ticket to Popwire, but haven't heard anything yet.

http://www.definitionstudio.com

Return to posts index

Popwire Support
on Jun 13, 2005 at 9:25:28 am

Hello, you should have an answer on your ticket by now due :)
We are working on this issue as we speak.

Cheers

Return to posts index

Popwire Support
on Jun 13, 2005 at 2:34:12 pm

Here is the latest update.

After a discussion with our developers the quick answer regarding the disability to choose 2-pass within QT Export options for Sorenson 3 is; that this option is unfortunatley not supported in the current implementation of this QT Export componet.

So at the moment you are locked to 1-pass Sorenson 3 encoding within the Master.

Return to posts index

David
on Jun 13, 2005 at 3:39:07 pm

Hi Charles,

Can you clarify something for me? On my G5 I have Sorenson Compression Suite installed so I have the SV3 Pro codec installed. However, when using the DEMo version of CM 3.1 I only see that it is using the "standard" version of Sorenson to compress. Do you know how I can get CM to recognize my Pro license?

Thanks for your help.

David

Return to posts index

Charles Simonson
on Jun 13, 2005 at 4:23:05 pm

David, if you have licensed the SV3 Pro component from Squeeze, then you should have access to it from any other QT-export capable applications. This includes FCP, QT Pro, and Cleaner. There are some installations and versions of Squeeze which require separate licensing of the SV3 Pro encoder (license should have been included in box or download). So, I would first make sure you can export from QT Pro using the Pro features of the codec. Then, I would make sure you have the latest version of the SV3 Pro codec, which is version 3.3. Updates can be downloaded at sorensonmedia.com. Third, I would ask what version of Mac OS and QT you are running. I have used 10.3.8 and 6.5.2 with no issue. Fourth, while I am sure you are, make sure you have CM 3.1 installed.

As far as access to the pro SV3 encoder from CM, you should have access to the Quality-based VBR and One-pass VBR controls. 2-pass is not available right now because of reasons mentioned above. Other controls the Pro encoder will allow are Water-marking and image smoothing. If you have access to these from CM, then everything is behavign correctly.

Return to posts index

David Berez
on Jun 14, 2005 at 2:37:55 am

Charles

Got it. You were exactly right. I needed to upgrade to 3.3. Then it worked.

Would you mind answering another question? I've made a series of new settings in CM and when I check them by double clicking on them in the left hand pane the settings are correct. However after I drag tehm to the batch window and compress the settings have changed frame sizes and or frame rates and particularly audio settings. Very frustrating. There must be something overwriting my settings. It doesn't happn to all of them but out of the 11 settings five are badly messed up. And it happens repeatedly. Ever see anything like this?

David

Return to posts index

Charles Simonson
on Jun 14, 2005 at 5:39:35 am

I haven't seen anything like this, but here are a few tips: Make sure you are saving the setting when you edit it after double-clicking it. You should get a dialog asking if you want to save after editing and closing it (by clicking on the "x" next to the setting's name). I imagine you are editing the setting, then either closing it without saving the changes, or leaving the settings dialog open and encoding without saving the settings. Therefore, the changes you have made to a setting are not being saved and are reverting to the default.

Another option, if you don't want to save over or create a new setting, is to drag the setting to your movie, then double-click it from there to open it up. Any changes made from here do not require saving and the setting returns to its original saved state once the job is completed.

If none of this works, then maybe there is an issue with your preferences, and in that case, you should run disk utility and repair permissions.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]