FORUMS: list search recent posts

Compression Master or Main Concept?

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lisa
Compression Master or Main Concept?
by
on Jun 9, 2005 at 5:31:04 pm

I'm looking for anyone's ideas on which program is better, particularly for mpeg1. After years of battling Cleaner's bugs I've had it and am ready to switch. I was impressed with Main Concept's demo, but there is no Normalize in the audio filters and that can be a problem. I notice Compression Master has audio normalize and for $150 more, can do a whole lot more. SO I guess what I'm asking is, are those of you with Compression Master very satisfied with your encodes, time of compression, etc.? Any problems you've had?

Thanks for your input.

Lisa

Return to posts index

Charles Simonson
Re: Compression Master or Main Concept?
on Jun 10, 2005 at 3:26:41 am

For the absolute best in software MPEG-1 encoding on the mac, I still have to say that I prefer MainConcept. However, with the release of Compression Master 3.1, the gap has greatly narrowed, and if you're looking for a great all-in-one encoder as well, then Compression Master 3.1 is an excellent choice. The only differences you'll notice between Compression Master's MPEG-1 and MainConcept's is minor, mostly because MainConcept offers 2-pass encoding vs. CM's 1-pass only of MPEG-1. Note though, that like SV3, because the preprocessing in CM is so good, the lack of 2-pass is mostly offset. BTW, for MPEG-2 encoding, Compression Master 3.1 now offers 2-pass encoding. As far as speed, MainConcept is still the fastest on the mac for software encoders. It will beat Compression Master's encoding times quite easily pass-for-pass, but that isn't too bad when you consider that MainConcept beats all others too, and Compression Master will most often beat any other encoder for most other formats in encoding times.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]