Covertion of AVI File to MPEG

COW Forums : Compression Techniques

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kim
Covertion of AVI File to MPEG
by
on May 24, 2005 at 3:43:30 am

Hi,

I'm having problem that after i have made movie to AVI file, I converted the file to MPEG and came out with very bad quality. It is very blurred and with boxes during the moving/animating of images.

My video option is DivX Pro (tm) 5.1.1 Codec. Could anyone advise any other option is better to be used? Would appreciate very much if anyone could assist and advise.

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Zak Kingston
Re: Covertion of AVI File to MPEG
on May 24, 2005 at 9:21:30 am

Well, I guess it would be useful if you would tell us something more about the settings you've used. In general, DivX isn't a bad decision so I guess the problem are the parameters...and what about the source file? And what's the destination of the file (web/local playback/...)

Return to posts index

Kim
by
on May 26, 2005 at 3:14:49 am

Hi Mr. Kingston,

Thanks for your feedback. Hope below info will clarify my question.

I am using AE6.5 to work on some wedding video album. I use DIVX 5.11 Codec to render AE project to AVI format and use AVI to VCD, SVCD and DVD converter to convert AVI file to VCd compliant format.

The problem I am facing now is the quality of the VCD is very bad. It is very blurred. The composition size is 720x480 and 352x240. The photo resolution is 1536 x 1024. I have changed the DIVX setting to high defination, but it seems the problem arisen during the conversion from AVI to VCD.

My questions are:-

1) Does AE support VCD format (means Mpeg1) so that I do not need to use converter as i heard there will be some data loss during conversion?

2) If AE does not support, is there any converter that is recommend from the experts?

If I'm using DVD resolution which is 720 X 480 but after rendering, I convert the AVI file (in DVD resolution) to MPEG and burn into VCD, will it affect the quality of the movie in VCD? Shall I use VCD resolution which is 352 X 240 in order to obtain better quality? Does the resolution of DVD or VCD affect the quality of movie?

Thank you very much if you could assist me.

Cheers,

Kim

Return to posts index

Zak Kingston
on May 26, 2005 at 7:07:46 am

Hmmm...let's give it a try.

First, I'd recommend you to watch your project on a TV. VCD-quality in general really sucks, so if you watch it on a PC it will never look really good, because of the low resolution. So maybe you're already satisfied if you have seen your project on TV, and I guess that's what you're doing it for.

In your scenario, I wouldn't recommend using DivX as an intermediate codec, it's not wrong if you use a high bitrate, but just for the convertion you're doing consider a lossless codec like Huffyuv or use a DV-codec. This might enhance quality in the final product.

I thought that After Effects natively exports MPEG1, but as I did a quick look I have to say that it doesn't (at least not on my computer).

I don't know the program you're using for the convertion avi>vcd. It depends more on the program you're using for the authoring. If you really want to produce a vcd, I'd recommmend tmpeg. Of course you have to stick to the standard resolution of VCD (352/240). But if you want to have a good quality, I would prefer doing a SVCD or a real DVD, which you can author using a lot of programs (Encore/DVD studio).

Hope that helps a little bit.

Return to posts index

Jaz Cheah
on May 27, 2005 at 2:08:03 am

Dear Zak Kingston,

Thanks for your valuable advice. I am Kim's colleagues who is also working on the wedding video album project.

We have played back the VCD on TV, the quality was not up to the acception mark. We have rendered uncompressed AVI from AE, it took abt 8GB and the quality was great. But when we use conversion program like Sorenson Sqeeze 4.1, Sony Vegas Studio 4.0 or some other AVI to VCD converter to but a VCD compliant MPEG file, the quality dropped tremendously. We seriously need solution to solve this problem.

We have tried on QT render Animation best setting or no compression, but the *.mov file was also not that clear.

We will consider to work on SVCD instead of VCD

Return to posts index

Zak Kingston
on May 27, 2005 at 10:18:01 am

OK, good luck then.

I guess that's a real "basic" problem. Resolution of VCD is just too low to produce a good image. And the bitrate for encoding the video is too low as well (max. 1300 kBit, as I remember). SVCD has at least the "normal" amount of lines of a TV image, but watch out for compatibility problems: Try to test it on as many DVD-players as possible, many older players have problems with SVCD, even if they mention that they play it.

So, maybe still consider doing a DVD-you have full quality and you can increase the bitrate enormously. And it should run on all set-top players if you author it correctly.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]