FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sunlight beam

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>

Eric Marte
Sunlight beam
on Apr 21, 2011 at 5:56:20 pm

Hello, I am trying to emulate the effect of sunlight flowing through the trees of a sort of dark forest. I only want one beam, not multiple.

Here's a picture to show you EXACTLY what I'm trying to do. I don't need it to be exactly like this but at least very close.

Extra info, just in case. The above image is made in flash, I am remaking that scene and continuing it in After Effects with 3D environment (it's a collaborative project), so i need to remake the scene where he left off in After Effects and all I'm missing is the light beam. Keep in mind, in my movie, all of that is in 3D space. Thank you in advance.

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
Re: Sunlight beam
on Apr 21, 2011 at 6:19:05 pm

You marked your post as a solution and thus this topic as solved, so you may not get as many responses as you wanted.

A beam like this would be easy to create with Trapcode's Lux plugin. If you don't have it, you could just create a solid layer with the Ramp effect and mask it into the right shape. (With feathering, of course)

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Eric Marte
on Apr 21, 2011 at 6:23:43 pm

Ah dang it. Is there anyway to undo the marking of solved? I had no idea i did that. Also thank you, I'll look for that plugin.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Apr 21, 2011 at 7:19:09 pm

[Michael Szalapski] "A beam like this would be easy to create with Trapcode's Lux plugin. If you don't have it, you could just create a solid layer with the Ramp effect and mask it into the right shape. (With feathering, of course)"

This could also be done with the Beam effect [link] on a solid layer and masking (instead of Ramp). Try some blend modes [link] like Add or Screen.

Off-topic: Michael -- check it out! I properly called them blend modes instead of transfer modes!

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Apr 21, 2011 at 9:35:48 pm

You could also do it with CC Light Burst (or the other CC Light thingy that's right next to it, but whose name I can't remember) on a white circle layer. Or Trapcode's Shine.

Onto the off-topic: Oooooh; congrats, Walter! I still struggle with calling them transfer modes.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Eric Marte
on Apr 22, 2011 at 2:23:21 am

[Michael Szalapski] "A beam like this would be easy to create with Trapcode's Lux plugin"

Hello again, I'm trying the Lux effect, and it's looking pretty good and all I like the effect (thanks for recommending it) but I'm having a problem that has been making me go mad. I cannot for the life of me figure out how to stop everything around the spot the light is on from shading. I keep messing with the settings and it doesn't work, I only got it to work for a point light, but for a spot, everything around it shades into black and I can't change it.

Is there anyway to fix it? If not, then ill try alternatives.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Apr 22, 2011 at 2:51:27 am

[Eric Marte] "I cannot for the life of me figure out how to stop everything around the spot the light is on from shading... everything around it shades into black and I can't change it."

Select a layer (not the light or the Lux effect) is on, then tap the A key twice to reveal the material options. Set "Accepts lights" to Off.

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

Eric Marte
on Apr 22, 2011 at 2:54:12 am

Yea, I tried that, but then the ground will no longer be highlighted. I still want the ground to get a little bit of light, but without everything around it to fade into pure darkness. Would I have to use 2 lights (one spot and one point)? Or what would you do.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Apr 22, 2011 at 3:05:44 am

Try adding an Ambient light.

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>