FORUMS: list search recent posts

HD MTS to SD MPEG2 conversion in Adobe Media Encoder

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Eric Garloff
HD MTS to SD MPEG2 conversion in Adobe Media Encoder
on Apr 6, 2011 at 2:12:52 pm

I am capturing HD video in an MTS format from my Canon HV30 and I need to end up with a high quality MPEG2 SD output for broadcasting.

When I use the CS5 AME preset for MPEG2 I end up with a file running aprox. 6Mbps. (A 15 min file is aprox 475MB) I want to increase the quality of the image, so I tried to adjust the video bit rate target up to 12Mbps and the AME estimated the file size to be aprox. 1.35GB which seems about right to me.

However, when I encoded the file its output is aprox. 780MB and I don't really see an imporvement in video quality over the 475MB file? If I play the original HD footage it looks very sharp compared to this SD output. I have seen much better SD signals on the same broadcast station which we use. How do I improve my video output quality in the MPEG2 SD format?

egarloff

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: HD MTS to SD MPEG2 conversion in Adobe Media Encoder
on Apr 6, 2011 at 6:32:57 pm

[Eric Garloff] "I am capturing HD video in an MTS format from my Canon HV30 and I need to end up with a high quality MPEG2 SD output for broadcasting."

Then you should be looking at Telestream's Episode Pro. Quit trying to fart around in AME.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Eric Garloff
on Apr 6, 2011 at 6:55:17 pm

Mr LaRonde
Do you know of any sample files so I could see how much better the final output is in Episode Pro as compared to AME?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Apr 6, 2011 at 8:21:39 pm

Most broadcast MPEG 2 specs include a bitrate. You'd need to check your particular delivery specs.

The maximum bitrate for a DVD (also MPEG2) peaks at something like 8 MB/s. I'm pretty sure a lot of satellite or internet spot delivery services call for MPEG2 files at something like 35 MB/s, which Episode Pro can knock out all day.

If Adobe Media Encoder can do that -- not just encode at a DVD bitrate -- that's great; you'll save yourself a ton of dough... but I haven't checked if it can.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

John Fawcett
on Jun 1, 2011 at 2:00:17 pm

I have tried to convert using several programs but the beat I have found believe it or not is Windows Movie Maker and convert to .wmv files

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]