FORUMS: list search recent posts

workflow from AE to authoring for widesceen DVD

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
marc keen
workflow from AE to authoring for widesceen DVD
on Apr 3, 2011 at 2:33:25 am

Ive been searching the threads and found some helpful tips but i can't fill in a few gaps so thought might start from beginning... :/

I have source that is 853x480, sq pixel with the intent of making a widescreen NTSC dvd. I read the encoding from AE sucks so am doing in AME to make the mpeg using MPEG2-dvd format. Will bring this encoded MPEG into a 3rd party program to make the iso, add menu..etc. No need to encode again since already in the MPEG. I ended up with black bars all around when watching TV on widescreen TV.

Here were my steps. If someone sees where i messed up, it would be great help.

AE:
master comp is (853x480, sq pixel) and is nested inside DVDcomp (720x480, PAR 1.21). Render is QT container, animation codec 100 percent lossless/no compression at same size and aspect as comp (720 by 480 with 1.21 PAR)

AME:
imported the QT mov and enocded with MPEG2_DVD with the High Quality NTSC widescreen DVD preset. Adjusted bitrate and 2pass VBR,etc..

DVD FLICK: (i know perhaps not much support here for that so i posted on their forum as well)
told the software this was for Widescreen DVD and source is widesceen 16:9 and PAR is widesceen (1.21)

As mentioned, i ended up with black bars at top, bottom and sides when viewed on 16:9 TV.

I thought perhaps to render the QT from AE with square pixel and master comp size (853 x 480) but i dont see how that makes a difference since just means doing the pixel squashing in AE and opposed to AME. Another thought was to let the DVD FLICK program do the encoding and just bring the QT in there as is.

Kind of lost here, so I appreciate any help.
Thank you

CS4, Windows, DVDflick 1.304

Return to posts index

marc keen
Re: workflow from AE to authoring for widesceen DVD
on Apr 3, 2011 at 3:35:38 am

"I thought perhaps to render the QT from AE with square pixel and master comp size (853 x 480) and convert to 720x480/PAR 1.21 im AME.."

I just tried this and it seems that the resulting MPEG has black bars on the sides. The MPEG created that was already 720x480/PAR 1.21 from AE doesnt have these bars. I am suspecting in an interpretion issue in DVD flick? hmm...still testing but welcoming any ideas....

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Apr 4, 2011 at 5:52:52 pm

Why not drop your composition into a 720x480 comp in AE (widescreen pixel aspect ratio) and render that out as lossless and use AME to do your MPEG encoding?

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

marc keen
on Apr 5, 2011 at 1:47:54 am

Hey, thanks...that's kind of exactly what I was doing in my orig post...

"...nested inside DVDcomp (720x480, PAR 1.21). Render is QT container, animation codec 100 percent lossless/no compression at same size and aspect as comp (720 by 480 with 1.21 PAR)

AME:
imported the QT mov and enocded with MPEG2_DVD with the High Quality NTSC widescreen DVD preset. Adjusted bitrate and 2pass VBR,etc.."

I think it seems like a good way for now...
Thanks!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]