FORUMS: list search recent posts

After Effects CS5 Crashes

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Seth Kessler
After Effects CS5 Crashes
on Mar 28, 2011 at 3:02:36 am

Hello all!

I'm a relatively inexperienced After Effect user but have, nonetheless, been working on a freelance job which requires my use of the program (CS5 version). I've been able to jump most of the hurdles involved with the associated learning curve but have ran into one which threatens the whole of this project (and my sanity!) Every time I try to render 5 seconds worth of animation the program up and crashes after the first frame is rendered. I've tried a number of different codecs, I turned off the multiple processing option and will continue to do trial and error but I wanted to see if anyone on this forum could lend a struggling novice some insight. My stage is composed of a number of flat items imported from illustrator and use very little color (mostly white and shades of green) as well as some vector masks. There are a number of 3-d layers (5-8). The stage itself is 1920x1080, square pixel and ive been mostly trying to render using Quicktime, animation codec. With no other programs running on my comp i have about 1.5 gigs devoted to AfterEffects (perhaps this is the problem? my mac can only handle 1 additional gig of memory--its at 3gigs now).

Any help would be GREATLY APPRECIATED!! I just started to do freelance and, as this is my bread and butter, I really need these programs to be functional
--thanks in advance :)

Seth K.

Return to posts index

Anders Hattne
Re: After Effects CS5 Crashes
on Mar 28, 2011 at 10:10:51 am

I find it better to render out image sequences because of crashes. Also if you have to replace a piece you just render out those frames.

If it crashes every 5 frames.. it's probably crazytalk, but why not try setting the "empty cache" option to every four frames?
(In the secret menu holding shift when selecting the general preferences)

If there's a crash while rendering an image sequences generally a new job is made starting where the old one stopped.

http://www.ardillamedia.com

Return to posts index

Seth Kessler
on Mar 28, 2011 at 5:05:44 pm

Thanks for your tip, but the program continues to crash...Im going to have to upgrade my system it seems :(

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Mar 28, 2011 at 3:06:41 pm

[Seth Kessler] "The stage itself is 1920x1080, square pixel and ive been mostly trying to render using Quicktime, animation codec. With no other programs running on my comp i have about 1.5 gigs devoted to AfterEffects (perhaps this is the problem?"

That is almost certainly the problem. For AE 10, 1.5 gigs is NOTHING. There is no way you can use multiprocessing, so turn it off. Until you get a machine that can accommodate more like 16 GB RAM, you should leave multiprocessing off.

If you're trying to use Open GL to accelerate rendering, turn it off, too. It rarely helps and often hurts.

I'm afraid that your AE capabilities are hindered by your machine. You need a new one.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Seth Kessler
on Mar 28, 2011 at 5:00:57 pm

Thanks for your insight, I very much appreciate it! Looks like I'm going to need an upgrade :(

Return to posts index

Chip Hess
on Mar 29, 2011 at 9:30:18 pm

Dave -

I run a Quad core iMac, 8 GB RAM.
I guess I should turn multiprocessing off, then?
Interesting.

What specs does using Open GL require?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]