FORUMS: list search recent posts

shooting a ball out of tv screen

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Aslan tamek
shooting a ball out of tv screen
on Mar 26, 2011 at 3:39:08 pm

hi. my first post here
i'm working on a scene where a guy a watching soccer on tv. i want to show the ball being shooted, coming out of the tv screen toward the camera. the tv screen is distant from the camera, so no need to show lots of details or a realistic effect. the only important thing is the ball coming out of the screen from the soccer scene! maybe its better done in a 3d program, but im trying to do it in AE... thanks in advance for the help.

Return to posts index

Joey Foreman
Re: shooting a ball out of tv screen
on Mar 26, 2011 at 4:20:07 pm

Get a soccer ball texture map, or make your own, and use CC Sphere to wrap that into a ball.
Make it a 3d layer, and animate its z position.

Joey Foreman
Editor/Compositor/VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Aslan tamek
on Mar 26, 2011 at 4:29:53 pm

thanks joey, that seems to be cool, i'm going to try that. as the ball texture is going to be different from those typical soccer balls, i have to shoot some still images to make the texture myself. good idea, thanks again.

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
on Mar 26, 2011 at 5:21:41 pm

Good idea from Joey, especially if you add motion blur. However, if you need to see detail on the ball, the best way is to use a 3d model of a soccer ball (you can purchase one fairly cheap from the web or model one yourself if you know how), adjust the texture to your needs, and import that in AE using Zaxwerks Invigorator Pro. The new version allows for a 3D object to be linked to a 3d layer in AE- so you can animate it just like you would a 3d layer, motion blur and all.
The third way of doing this is to use Free Form. You can do this if you are familiar with the way displacement maps work. Create the two sides of the ball on one 2d layer - depth maps ( at 16 bit for great detail) and texture maps, then use the 3d displacement to create the two semi spheres that will make up the ball. Bend the layer like you would fold a page from the middle using 3D distortion controls and you got your 3d ball. If you haven't used Free Form before here's a tutorial that may help.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Aslan tamek
on Mar 26, 2011 at 6:12:49 pm

thanks Tudor,
reading the third way you mentioned, i was wondering if there would be any tutorials to learn how to perform the task. thank you for the link to the tutorial.

Return to posts index

Brian Charles
on Mar 26, 2011 at 11:23:19 pm

You can learn something here, it even uses a soccer ball.

http://maxafter.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=132&Itemid...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]