FORUMS: list search recent posts

After effects Render settings

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
jack pedleham
After effects Render settings
on Mar 16, 2011 at 11:02:13 pm

Hi,

Im working on a short film its just short of 6 minutes long, i shot it at 720p @60fps. Ive just completed the editing phase within PREMIERE and the output was over 22GB! I Understand that its uncompressed video but i mean really?! i dont even think the video files i used were 22gb in total?!

Anyway ive worked on the VFX in AE and i need to do a workprint render just to show my tutors. Can anyone advise me on some render settings which will compress the size (around 2gb is fine) and not suffer a massive quality loss?

Thanks
Jack :D

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
Re: After effects Render settings
on Mar 16, 2011 at 11:25:11 pm

[jack pedleham] "the output was over 22GB! I Understand that its uncompressed video but i mean really?! i dont even think the video files i used were 22gb in total?!"

a single uncompressed 1280x720 frame is over 4mb, so uncompressed media file can be huge. and the footage that was used when editing was most likely not uncompressed, so they would be smaller, but once they are re-rendered/converted to uncompressed they get huge...

but on to your issue... you can render something out of ae at a different frame size and frame rate as the original comp. if you don't mind it being a bit rough, you could set the frame size to half and the frame rate to half. those settings are in the render queue, render settings -- click 'best settings' and set the resolution to 'half' and set the frame rate the half the current frame rate.

that file will still be large... that 22gb file will probably be around 6gb with those settings, so you'll still need to compress it. clicking the output module (in the render queue) and setting the quicktime options to photo-jpeg, 75 quality may get it down to 2gb... but you'll get much smaller files with comparable image quality if you compress using a compression utility that can do an h.264 multi-pass encode (ae can't).

i usually use a free app called mpeg-streamclip. import the file and choose file>export mpeg-4. enable multi-pass and b-frames and set the quality slider up to 80 or greater and let it go.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

Kevin Camin
on Mar 18, 2011 at 4:15:58 pm

I think you could get that sucker down to 300Mb and have it look great.

I would export from AE at: half resolution and leave all the other settings alone except 'export audio' and the Time Span is set correctly.

I would then open it inside Quicktime Pro and make it into a Quicktime h.264. Set your frame rate to 30. Set keyframe to automatic. Limit your data rate to 2400, Audio to AAC.

From my experience, Quicktime Pro does a much better job of creating Quicktime h.264 compressions than Adobe Media Converter.

Return to posts index

jack pedleham
on Mar 21, 2011 at 8:25:30 pm

Thanks for both suggestions :) ill try both of them and see which gives me the best look.

Thanks
Jack

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]