FORUMS: list search recent posts

Shatter Effect Unnecessary Pause?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nolan Beguhl
Shatter Effect Unnecessary Pause?
on Feb 23, 2011 at 6:00:23 am

So, I've been creating several threads about the use of the shatter effect and yet another problem has come up. I'm trying to make pieces look as if they're falling inwards, instead of exploding outwards. I'm not quite familiar with the shatter effects as it's pretty intimidating, but I've set up my settings so that it shatters inward. Unfortunately, my problem is that the shatter appears too late and seems to pause unnecessarily. I thought threshold would be the cause of this, but I have that set to 0, so that couldn't be the problem. How do I stop the unnecessary pause?

A detailed description of what happens: Piece begins to fall backwards, then it pauses oddly for about half-a-second, and shatters while the pieces fall even further backwards. I want the pause gone and just want it to flow smoothly meaning: Piece begins to fall backwards and shatters while moving even further backwards.

Help is always appreciated.

Return to posts index

Jason Mettler
Re: Shatter Effect Unnecessary Pause?
on Feb 23, 2011 at 1:43:05 pm

Which shatter effect are you using?

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
on Feb 23, 2011 at 4:22:10 pm

hi nolan,

are you using the built in force(s) or a gradient to cause the shatter? and if you are using the built in force(s) are you using both or just one?

i'm trying to figure out what might be stopping a particle... normally once a particle starts in shatter the only way to stop it is with a high viscosity value, but once viscosity stops a particle, it wont' start moving again...

also, when you say the piece moves backwards, then shatters while moving further backwards, are you saying you are trying to shatter a particle after it shattered from the main layer...? if so, you can't do that, at least not within the effect itself.

you can have particles created by one force, then get effect by the second force, so they look like they get pushed or bounce off the second force... are you using two forces? maybe one of them is causing the pause in the particle movement.

also, if it seems like everything is setup correctly, but ae is just misbehaving, try choosing edit>purge>all to try and clear all of ae's caches. if that doesn't work, try rebooting the system. occasionally ae gets hung up with data.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

Nolan Beguhl
on Feb 23, 2011 at 10:21:40 pm

I'm using the built-in forces, not a gradient. I'm using both forces... I didn't realize I could use only one.

Also, by moving backwards I mean I have the piece scaling down so as it appears to be moving farther away. At a certain point, I want it to shatter while it's moving backwards; however while it's being pushed backwards, it stops.

Is there any way I can get the piece to shatter without it exploding or being pushed backwards by itself and that way I can just use the scale function to make it look like it's exploded backwards? I think it might have to do with the scaling and the shatter effect together which is causing the odd pause, but I can't figure out why.

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
on Feb 23, 2011 at 10:45:12 pm

[Nolan Beguhl] "I'm using both forces... I didn't realize I could use only one."

no.. you can use both. i was just thinking that if the second one was positioned in such a way that it 'counteracted' the first force some how, that maybe that was the problem, but i think that's highly doubtful.

[Nolan Beguhl] "by moving backwards I mean I have the piece scaling down so as it appears to be moving farther away. At a certain point, I want it to shatter while it's moving backwards; however while it's being pushed backwards, it stops."

i understand now... though i don't see why there would be a pause by mixing these two things together.

try disabling the effects for the layer by unchecking the 'fx' switch for the layer in the timeline and see if you get the same pause. if so, twirl down all the transform properties for the layer and see if you don't have something key framed that you don't want/need key framed.

there may be a property that is counteracting you scale, like a positional change on the z-axis or something. or, maybe you have ease on for a scale keyframe that coincides with the shatter effect, thus the scale is easing to a stop before the shatter happens.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]