FORUMS: list search recent posts

How to in AE/Motion -- rotating earth with lit countries

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jordan Wilson
How to in AE/Motion -- rotating earth with lit countries
on Feb 21, 2011 at 5:58:42 pm

Hey CC people,

I'm wondering how to do a certain effect. I've already figured out the basics of a "rotating earth" -- similar to this tutorial here.

So here's what I wanted to do.... I want a black and white rotating earth (go this part taken care of) but at certain points, I want specific countries to light up a certain color. So it might be 5 countries a second light up red, for example. Then another 5 the next second, and so on and so forth.

What's the best way to get this done? I'm not sure if Motion or After Effects would work better....

I figured I could make 7 or 8 different versions of the animation (one with no countries lit, another with 5 countries, another with 10 countries, and so on.. and then mix/fade them in FCP. But I'm hoping there's an easier way)

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Jordan Wilson
Re: How to in AE/Motion -- rotating earth with lit countries
on Feb 21, 2011 at 6:00:10 pm

Oh, here's the tutorial I'm basing it off of.

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
on Feb 21, 2011 at 6:52:24 pm

It's actually not that complicated. Precompose the texture layer you want to use to create the globe. Work inside that comp on simple 2d layers to animate the countries coming on and off, timing it to your animation. In AE you can set markers while listening to the audio track. Once that animation is done, go into the comp with the globe and time the rotation and camera moves to match the moments when the countries are highlighted.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
on Feb 21, 2011 at 6:53:15 pm

if you are using cc sphere in ae, then you'd use an animated layer/texture that cc sphere is applied to...

what i would do is create a comp that is 2x as wide as high -- it sounds like you have an earth texture already that is probably like that, if so, drag that onto the 'make/new comp' icon and start there.

once you have the earth texture in the new comp, you can add the countries. if you have the countries as layers, you can position them and have them animate on. if you have outlines on your base earth layer, you might be able to use multiple paint bucket effects to 'fill' areas of the earth layer.

once you have the countries adding on the way you want, take that map/texture comp into a new final comp and add the cc sphere effect. the countries should add on as they did in the 'flat' comp, but now on a sphere.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]