FORUMS: list search recent posts

Lengthening comps in a template

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sergio Manente
Lengthening comps in a template
on Feb 17, 2011 at 7:02:36 pm

I have recently started to work with AE and do this may be a very newbie question, but I have done tons of searches and cannot find a satisfactory answer... maybe someone out there can help... I sure hope so - this one has me stomped... so here we go: I purchased an AE template with 6 place holders.... the whole final comp is 50 seconds.
I need to add videos to the placeholders each have different lengths ranging from 4 second to 1 min 44 seconds... 6 placeholders 6 clips. so how do I lengthen the sub-comps to fit my footage and then ultimately how do I lengthen the entire final comp? Also will I have to deal with lengthening cameras and effects? any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sergio

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Re: Lengthening comps in a template
on Feb 17, 2011 at 7:11:18 pm

Under Composition Settings you can lengthen each comp in part. Once you do that make sure you drag the end of each clip in the timeline to match the new comp length, as your clips will be trimmed to the original length.
As far as the effects and animation for camera, it depends much on what you need to achieve, the type of animation and camera moves- I guess it will vary from one template to another.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Sergio Manente
on Feb 17, 2011 at 7:15:30 pm

Ted thanks for your quick response,

when you say "make sure you drag the end of each clip in the timeline to match the new comp length" do you mean stretch the all the clips within that specific comp?

thanks

Sergio

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
on Feb 17, 2011 at 7:25:21 pm

If you have a 50 sec comp and your clips are longer but not the same, you will need to lengthen each clip precomp accordingly as well as any other layers associated with that clip (adjustment layers for example). When it comes to fx it's the tricky part- here it's where it depends on each template and the result you wish to achieve.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Sergio Manente
on Feb 17, 2011 at 10:40:01 pm

Ok I've been working on the project - so far so good... however one of the footage comps has an issue - I stretch it to right size everything slows down audio as wellas video... any takes?

Sergio

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Feb 17, 2011 at 11:35:40 pm

[Sergio Manente] "I stretch it to right size everything slows down audio as wellas video... any takes?"

If this is the video you are adding to this template to create your own AE animation, don't stretch it.
If this is the video that came with the template, replace it with your video by using the REplace Footage command. Highlight the layer to be replaced, then Option-drag (Mac) the new footage onto it. I don[t know what the equivalent is in Windows.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Keiichi Matsuda
on Feb 17, 2011 at 7:12:34 pm

Never used (or even heard of) a template before in AE, but if im interpreting correctly, it is quite noob.

Open any comps that you want to lengthen, and in each one, go composition>composition settings, and type how long you want. You can always do it too long, then trim back.
When you go back into the main comp, you will be able to extend the length of any precomps, (plus solids, cameras, lights, nulls etc.), by dragging the end of the bar in the timeline.

Hope that makes sense and answers your question.

Return to posts index

Sergio Manente
on Feb 17, 2011 at 7:22:30 pm

thanks Keiichi,

I will try it!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]