FORUMS: list search recent posts

after effects cs5 codec problem

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
cherlique lilienthal
after effects cs5 codec problem
on Feb 9, 2011 at 12:46:46 am

i just started using the creative suite 5. i like a lot of the new features. i just finished editing my first project in cs5, but now i run into som trouble. i rendered exactly the way i used to with cs3 and cs4. i render avi and enable audio. but now when i play in windows media player it only plays audio and freezes somethimes. it does play in vlc player but also hangs some times. now when i try to make a dvd of my finished project. nero cant import the avi file. what could the problem be?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: after effects cs5 codec problem
on Feb 9, 2011 at 4:53:51 pm

Sounds like you need to change the default codec in the Output Module template.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
on Feb 9, 2011 at 9:35:42 pm

yep... it sounds like you're rendering an uncompressed avi, which has too high of a data rate for you to play back in realtime, thus the snags in the video.

you'll need to get into the compression settings and set that from uncompressed to something like dv, dvcpro, cinepak, etc... if you can, you might check to see what the compression settings were in your previous versions... less trial and error for import into your other software.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Feb 9, 2011 at 9:53:08 pm

[cherlique lilienthal] "i just started using the creative suite 5. i like a lot of the new features. i just finished editing my first project in cs5, but now i run into som trouble. i rendered exactly the way i used to with cs3 and cs4. i render avi and enable audio. but now when i play in windows media player it only plays audio and freezes somethimes. it does play in vlc player but also hangs some times."

As Dave and Kevin have said, After Effects renders uncompressed or losslessly compressed video by default. These are intermediate formats, intended for further use in post -- not direct playback.

See the FAQ "Why is my output file huge, and why doesn't it play back smoothly in a media player?" at http://forums.adobe.com/thread/684381

[cherlique lilienthal] "now when i try to make a dvd of my finished project. nero cant import the avi file. what could the problem be?"

I don't know anything about Nero, so I can't advise you on what formats it can import. You might be able to use Adobe Media Encoder to prepare MPEG-2 assets for your DVD, though.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at
Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]