FORUMS: list search recent posts

1000 fps footage

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gonçalo Perdigao
1000 fps footage
on Jan 28, 2011 at 7:36:57 pm

Hi there i receive a footage that have 1 000 fps and i was trying to import it to after effects, but after only allow to have footage at 99 fps, is there any way to work this files at 1 000 fps or there is, some kind of process or plug in to work with this footage.

I film with a phanton miro ex4 and the software that i'm using to convert the raw files is Phantom camera controler (PCC1,2)

Thanks a lot

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: 1000 fps footage
on Jan 28, 2011 at 7:49:32 pm

[Gonçalo Perdigao] "is there any way to work this files at 1 000 fps"

There is no commonly available video application that can work at 1000 fps. You have SLOW MOTION FOOTAGE. You can't expect to work with it at the frame rate at which it was shot. It was never intended to be played at the frame rate at which it was shot. So your question is irrelevant and nonsensical.

Furthermore, no one goes to the great expense of shooting on a Phantom camera without a plan, and you've said nothing about that.

So -- can you tell us what the plan is? What are you expected to deliver to your client using this footage? Does your client expect to see slow motion? What is the frame rate you are expected to deliver?

If you can answer those questions, we can offer some suggestions.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Gonçalo Perdigao
on Jan 28, 2011 at 8:16:51 pm

thanks a lot for the quick reply.
I understand that it was not supose to work at 1 000 fps, but i dont' think that my question is irrelevant and nonsensical! Cause after all this forum was created to people take their doubts and to learn with others that have more experience.

It's not the first time that you reply like this, and certainly you didn't born with all the knowledge that you have right now, you have to learn with others!

And is that what i'm trying to do here! If you can help me i thank you a lot, otherwise don't bother to reply, please.

About my plan. My plan is to use the possibility to use a good slow motion, that's why i film at 1 000 fps.

Thanks once more for your quick reply

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jan 28, 2011 at 8:31:28 pm

[Gonçalo Perdigao] "My plan is to use the possibility to use a good slow motion, that's why i film at 1 000 fps."

Now we have some information. It took long enough for the little we have.

Since we don't yet know the frame rate at which you'll have to deliver your work, I'll just assume that it's 25 fps.

I would import the footage a few times, and I would conform the footage to different frame rates, all divisible by 25, in the interpret footage settings. Some good frame rates would be 100, 50, and of course 25.

I don't know if AE will allow you to interpret footage at frame rates greater than 99 fps. If it does, 150, 200 and 250 become good choices as well.

When you have your various frame rates, you can put them into 25 fps comps, render the comps with no fields in the codec of your choice, and look at them in an editing application. You could also do RAM Previews on these comps. Then you can decide how much to slow down the footage.

There, now that didn't hurt, did it?

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Ed Hurd
on Dec 20, 2015 at 9:08:17 pm

I know this thread is several years old, but I was looking for info on AE's 99fps cap. Came across this thread. I had to comment on Dave LaRonde's response. His attitude is completely uncalled for. All I have to say is, his work better be super stellar, cool, and amazing to approach having that kind of attitude. Let's see some of your know it all attitude work.. Have anything to show Mr. ABC?

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Jan 28, 2011 at 8:05:08 pm

Try importing it as 24 fps and see what happens.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jan 28, 2011 at 8:13:35 pm

[Michael Szalapski] "Try importing it as 24 fps and see what happens."

I'm reluctant to give ANY advice until I know what the guy's up to with this footage.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
on Jan 28, 2011 at 8:21:21 pm

I know. I just wanted to see what would happen.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Gonçalo Perdigao
on Jan 28, 2011 at 8:22:45 pm

Thanks Michael, i will try to do that!
So the video is imported as 24 fps, and the composition is also at 24fps?

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jan 28, 2011 at 8:50:48 pm

[Gonçalo Perdigao] "Hi there i receive a footage that have 1 000 fps and i was trying to import it to after effects, but after only allow to have footage at 99 fps, is there any way to work this files at 1 000 fps or there is, some kind of process or plug in to work with this footage."

Frame rate interpretation is totally non-destructive. It won't alter your footage; it just determines how fast or slow it will look when played back. It almost doesn't matter what you set it at, because you can change it later without affecting your footage files on disk. You can experiment some.

Your working comp, though, must match whatever your final output device will be. How will this ultimately be played back?

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Joey Foreman
on Jan 28, 2011 at 9:53:43 pm

If you're on a Mac setup with FCP, you may be able to take it into Cinema Tools and Conform it to 24 or 25 fps.
But save a backup 1st.

Joey Foreman
Editor/Compositor/VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
on Jan 29, 2011 at 9:49:46 am

Shooting high frame rate footage is - like Dave mentioned earlier- so that you can have crystal clear slow motion. Also it is recommended when you want speed changes that go from real fast to slow motion (camera moves or action in the shot). Besides setting up the frame rate of the project you are working in AE at the delivery standard (24, 25, 29.97 and so on) you may want to now the length of the shot (how many seconds @1000fps). This will allow you to figure out the time stretch percentage you need to apply to get real time, or where to move your key frames for time remapping to get that (which is what I recommend doing). From here you can start playing with speed changes.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]