FORUMS: list search recent posts

AE and ProRes 422 render issue

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Stuart Fleisher
AE and ProRes 422 render issue
on Jan 18, 2011 at 10:34:50 pm

Hello all,

I've run into a strange issue lately with ProRes 422 and ProRes 422 HQ renders coming out of AE. The render will finish without reporting any errors, but when I go to open the file, quicktime doesn't recognize it as a .mov, and I can't import it into any other programs.

I'm stitching together an otherwise unmodified .psd sequence rendered over our network, and it seems that short renders come out fine, but any clip over a certain length causes this problem.

Does anyone else have any experience with this sort of error?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: AE and ProRes 422 render issue
on Jan 18, 2011 at 10:40:08 pm

Don't render it over your network. If if it isn't set up in a specific manner, such as what's described in this thread:
http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/2/993556
a network can introduce a wide variety of errors.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Stuart Fleisher
on Jan 18, 2011 at 11:56:28 pm

I'm sorry, I was unclear. The image sequence was rendered over the network and all the images came out fine. The problem comes when I try to use after effects to stitch the sequence into a .mov.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jan 19, 2011 at 3:28:53 pm

Thanks for the clarification. I still suspect that your network is creating problems: it can't move the data quickly enough for AE to work properly. Is it possible for you to do all the work on a single machine? Move the image sequences to it, assemble the sequences and then render the ProRes files on it.

You'll then have an indication of what's going on when there's no network involved. If AE still renders bad quicktimes, you can investigate other sources of the problem.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Stuart Fleisher
on Jan 19, 2011 at 3:53:44 pm

I will try that suggestions as soon as I can, but it seems like more of a workaround than a permanent solution to me.

The actual stitch isn't being farmed, just rendered from a single machine. Granted, we have an EditShare, so all of our files are located on an external server which we have extremely fast connections to. Since our workflow is highly dependent on this hardware, it doesn't really make sense to pull all of the files onto a local machine whenever we need to stitch.

I'm not convinced that this is a network problem, since we don't have problems with shorter length videos, or with other compressions. It almost seems like AE isn't properly closing out/signing the render. We can watch each frame render, and we have a 2.5 gig file at the end of it, but we can't open it. I'll test your solution and see if it tells me more.

Oh, and btw, thanks for your help. Every time I have a technical issue and start researching answers your face seems to pop up in my search results. Its great to have such helpful people in the community.

Return to posts index

Roy McKenzie
on Feb 1, 2011 at 3:52:55 pm

I'm so excited!!! Finally someone else with this problem. I am going to start reading your posts now!

I have this exact problem and it has been plaguing my systems for months. I have tried several things to get it resolved. I am glad to find someone else to ping ideas off of.

I have a SAN and three work stations and I get these problem and it only seems to be with after effects, network rendering, and apple pro res.

I posted also way back and no one responded. I hope to find some solutions as I read, but I was so excited I had to post.

See my post here:

http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/2/980502#980502

Thank you

Roy

Return to posts index

Roy McKenzie
on Feb 1, 2011 at 4:08:54 pm

So I read ... I see no solution. Are you still experiencing this problem and have you found others who experience it also?

Have you found a solution and what have you tried?

At first I thought it was a speed issue on my network. I have resolved that thought. I have a very speedy and reliable SAN based on a mac pro running 10.5.xxx. I render to a SATA raid 0 that is very fast and I recently upgraded the card to get peek performance. I also employ daul network interfaces set up as a link aggregate. The server is fairly robust with proper ram and such, I would say unless someone tells me other wise.

I see no limits being reached when I do these multiprocessor (or single processor) renders to apple pro rez or even animation codec. I get the errors with longer sequences (over one minute typically)on multi processor render and single processor renders. Under one minute no problem...

I won't go into detail now, but all my workstations are decked out to handle multi tread processing and I have fine tuned them. I know their limits. This seemed to happen when adobe introduced the Adobe QT32 server and I have my suspicions that is where the problem lies when rendering over a network.

This is BS because it should work and I have little to no problem with other codecs, plus I have been using this work flow for over 5 years.

So, I look forward to your input!

Thank you

Roy

Return to posts index

Stuart Fleisher
on Feb 2, 2011 at 12:48:53 am

Hey Roy,

I'm not really sure what the problem is, and I've been too busy to invest much time in fixing it. I've been stitching my sequences to my local disk and then transferring them to our edit share after that, which works ok, but isn't an ideal solution. I will show your post to some people at work who are more familiar with the technical aspects of networking and see if they have any input.

Return to posts index

Roy McKenzie
on Feb 4, 2011 at 2:40:31 pm

Ya that's my solution too. It is sucky, really sucky. I am going to try to update my codecs and try to swap them around and see if newer or older codecs work.

It's a friggen crap shoot. I rendered three movies last night and one out of the three corrupted.

I talked to a IT guy who puts systems together, he's got crazy knowledge ... he suspects it was a matter of packets being dropped at first. Ethernet connections are not really meant for this kind of throughput. All the same my throughput is excellent, but technically we are supposed to use fiber. I guess fiber does not break the info up like Ethernet protocol.

Like I said, I have my suspicions with the QT 32 server that adobe clearly added to afx 10 as an external program to assemble the movies, and it's ability to keep up.

Thank you

Roy

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]