FORUMS: list search recent posts

How to TARGET / keep logos upright in spinning circle ?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mark Palmos
How to TARGET / keep logos upright in spinning circle ?
on Jan 16, 2011 at 2:47:19 pm

Hi guys,

I have a bunch of logos in a circle. The circle of logos must rotate but the logos must remain upright.

I cant seem to do this with parenting, and was wondering about TARGETING which is what combustion used to call it...

Any easy way to do this simple thing?

Thanks!
Mark.

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Re: How to TARGET / keep logos upright in spinning circle ?
on Jan 16, 2011 at 3:32:41 pm

Layer -> Transform -> Auto-Orient

This way your logos will always face the camera.

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Mark Palmos
on Jan 16, 2011 at 5:38:48 pm

Hi Ted, thanks for the response...

I have now told all the logo layers to be auto-oriented on a path.

Each logo does not have a path, but are parented to a circular shape layer. When I rotate the shape layer the logos do rotate, but do not stay upright.

My project is 2D, so there is no 3D camera. I guess I do not have an actual "path" but dont see a way to convert the shape layer to be the path for each of those logos without Parenting.

If I take one of those logos and create a circular path for it and apply auto orientate, the logo always stands with it's "feet" on the globe, ie its as though the logo is standing on earth as the earth revolves. I want it to look like a ferris wheel, where the people sit upright no matter where they are in the circle.

Tx again
Mark.

Return to posts index

Erik Waluska
on Jan 16, 2011 at 6:38:52 pm

You just need to add a camera to your comp and choose to auto orient toward the camera, not a path.

Return to posts index

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
on Jan 16, 2011 at 6:47:44 pm

For a 2d move:
position logos in a circle (one way to do it right is to draw a circle on a shape layer and position all logos with their anchor points on the circle (straight up or horizontal). Create Nulls for all logos (they will be positioned in the center), link each logo to a Null. Divide 360 by the number of logos to get the rotation angle you need to position your logos on the circle. Rotate each null by that angle(x) multiplied by it's number- Null1 by (x), Null 2 by 2(x), .... Then adjust rotation on the logo layers to have all logos horizontal.
Link all Nulls to a Master Null. This one will rotate all logos. Set the number of frames you want for one full rotation. L3et's say you decide to go clockwise. Then you need to animate each logo to rotate 360 degrees (a full rotation) counter clock wise in the same number of frames.
That is if you do not want a camera in your comp...

Tudor "Ted" Jelescu
Senior VFX Artist

Return to posts index

Mark Palmos
on Jan 16, 2011 at 7:20:16 pm

Thank you guys for some really good info...

I had to get it done today and did a botch-job... but if I get some more time on Wednesday I will redo my crappy anim and try one of the tips I got here.

Thanks again!
Cheers

Mark.

Return to posts index

Jonathan Tipton-King
on Sep 13, 2016 at 1:22:27 am

better late than never…

1. make a master null in the center— this will control the overall rotation of the circle

2. make a null for each logo (positioned at the center of each logo)

3. parent the logo nulls to the master null

4. alt-click the rotation property of the logo nulls to parent this to the rotation property of the master null

5. add a "-" to the beginning of the expression that you just created in the rotation property of the logo nulls so that it inverses the rotation

6. now as you rotate the master null the logos should rotate in the opposite direction at the same rate so that now they are always oriented correctly as the circle rotates.

yay!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]