FORUMS: list search recent posts

Hand-colour each letter in a font?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ryan Hill
Hand-colour each letter in a font?
on Jan 11, 2011 at 6:20:24 pm

Let's say I have a whole bunch of text that I want to give a certain reflective look. I could do this in Photoshop easily enough, but there's enough manual work to make the quantity of text daunting. It wouldn't be too much work to colour all 26 letters, but then I'd have to manually position every single letter.

What is the quickest way you can think of to replace each letter in a block of text with its coloured equivalent?

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
Re: Hand-colour each letter in a font?
on Jan 11, 2011 at 6:47:43 pm

How are you doing this coloring?

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Ryan Hill
on Jan 11, 2011 at 7:26:38 pm

I could create an image for each letter in Photoshop. It's kind of a mirrored bevel. I manually divide the letter into sections according to what angle it would face and do a gradient fill on each section, plus some airbrushed highlights.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jan 11, 2011 at 7:58:24 pm

[Ryan Hill] "What is the quickest way you can think of to replace each letter in a block of text with its coloured equivalent?"

How good are you with 3D applications? If you're going after precise reflections on these letters that correspond with their positions, you might have to do it in one.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Ryan Hill
on Jan 11, 2011 at 9:26:02 pm

I'm not so sure that I want reflections that correspond with their positions. I like it having this artificial airbrushed look.

I guess I could do an orthographic render and then filter and touch up the resulting image a little.

But now it's got me curious.

Return to posts index

Ryan Hill
on Jan 12, 2011 at 10:18:35 pm

I might compromise and go with the 3D solution.

But now it makes me curious, whether there's a way...

1) Is there a way to split a block of text into a bunch of compositions, one for each letter? (But it's important that there's one composition for A, B, ... Z, a, b, c, ... z, so then I can change all A's)

2) Maybe a way to grab a list of the characters using an expression, but also each character's x and y position?

Of course, without an obvious solution, I guess it would be quicker to position each one by hand in Photoshop.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]