FORUMS: list search recent posts

Problems with Numbers Effect

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Liz Zielke
Problems with Numbers Effect
on Jan 11, 2011 at 6:15:09 pm

Hi,

I'm working in After Effects CS5 and having problems with the Number effect. I have a graph which I have precomposed and animated. But when I go into my main comp, the layer with the Numbers effect on it (just a text layer I want to count from 0-85)...appears incorrectly, in the wrong position.

All my art is vector art that I have "continuous raster" selected. When I go to the main comp I can deselect the continuous raster and my layer appears normal, but everything is fuzzy from the non-raster.

Any suggestions on how to get my layer to appear correctly?

Return to posts index

Michael Szalapski
Re: Problems with Numbers Effect
on Jan 11, 2011 at 6:50:04 pm

I'm having trouble visualizing your project structure.
Is your numbers effect in the same precomp as the graph? Precompose it inside that precomp. See if that helps.
Is anything 3d? Why is your graph precomp fuzzy? Did you scale it up? The project file would be useful to see, or even some screen shots of your layers in the timeline could help too.

- The Great Szalam
(The 'Great' stands for 'Not So Great, in fact, Extremely Humble')

No trees were harmed in the creation of this message, but several thousand electrons were mildly inconvenienced.

Return to posts index

Liz Zielke
on Jan 11, 2011 at 6:57:39 pm

Ok, I don't really have the ability to pull screen shots at this moment, but I'll try to describe the comp a bit better.

I have a precomp of all the graph layers. In this comp, are all the vector art layers with the "continuous raster" checked. Then there is a text layer with the Numbers effect on it, making it count from 0-85. I've also animated other parts of the graph. Nothing is 3D.

That comp is in another precomp where I have scaled it up to fit in a box with some other artwork. I have the "continuous raster" checked on the precomp - making all the art work crisp...but the numbers effected layer appears in the wrong position. (this is where if I turn off the "continuous raster" the number layer appears correct...but everything is fuzzy because it is not rastered and scaled up)

That comp is placed in my main comp where it rests over video (a talking head with the graph now next to it)

I've tried precomposing the numbers layer in the initial precomp...which solves the problem of the positioning...but then the text is fuzzy in the rest of my comps.

Does this help any? I will try to post some screen grabs later this afternoon when I have time.

Return to posts index

Kevin Camp
on Jan 11, 2011 at 9:00:12 pm

the problem is that the numbers effect is not 'scaleable' like you vector layers are.

i see a few solutions, one is to rebuild the comp at the size that you need it; keep the comp the same, but remove the number effect and put that in the main comp; or don't use the numbers effect and use a text layer that will be scaleable.

the first 2 options are pretty straight forward... i'll explain the 3rd option.

create a new text layer using the text tool (the 't' from the tools palette/bar), you can type something in there to help get the formating set up, but that will be replaced with the next couple steps.

obviously, then set the formating (font, size, color. etc) and position to match what you need.

add a slider expression control to the text layer (effects>expression controls>slider control). and key frame the values as needed (to time with what you have/had with the numbers effect).

now you'll use an expression to link the text layer's source text to the slider value. twirl down the text layer's properties to get to text>source text. select that and choose animation>add expression. in the expression field type this expression:

num=effect("Slider Control")("Slider");
num

if you scrub in the timeline, the number should count with the slider value. it will most likely have several decimal places, that you may not want. to remove all decimal places, change the epxression to this:

num=effect("Slider Control")("Slider");
Math.floor(num)

if you needed some other form of rounding, like 1 or 2 decimal places, that can be formatted too.

now, if you take that into another comp and scale it with continuously rasterize enabled it should look like the rest of the vector elements.

Kevin Camp
Senior Designer
KCPQ, KMYQ & KRCW

Return to posts index

Liz Zielke
on Jan 11, 2011 at 9:06:18 pm

Thanks...I was afraid it was something like that.
Remaking the comp at the correct size isn't really an option because the client often changes the size on the fly and I won't have time to change the artwork every time.

I was thinking about the 2nd option, but wasn't sure if there was just something I hadn't clicked on or off.

I think I'm going to try option 3 though. I'll get back if I have more question!

Thanks again!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jan 11, 2011 at 10:48:03 pm

[Liz Zielke] "Remaking the comp at the correct size isn't really an option because the client often changes the size on the fly and I won't have time to change the artwork every time. "

Does the ASPECT RATIO change? If it stays at 16x9, work at the highest common denominator, 1920x1080. It's a snap to then lower resolution simply be nesting it in a comp of the appropriate size, and scaling to fit the comp.

If the aspect ratio DOES change from 16x9 to 4x3, make sure all the essential graphics like within 4x3 title safe. You can still do the nesting & scaling trick.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Liz Zielke
on Jan 12, 2011 at 1:37:44 am

I was just thinking any scaling would cause problems. But I guess it makes sense if I scale down that I wouldn't have to use the raster option.

Thanks! I'll have to play with things tomorrow. I really appreciate the quick responses.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]