FORUMS: list search recent posts

AE CS5 render error

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
noah klersfeld
AE CS5 render error
on Jan 7, 2011 at 9:34:20 pm

I am rendering an after effects project in CS5 and 3 hours into the 30 hour render it displays the following message "after effects warning: logged one error - error: an output module stopped responding. the file may be damaged or corrupted. you may need to restart after effects". I restarted, re-rendered and the same message displayed at approximately the same time into the program. Does anyone have any experience with this error message? I have MacPro from 2006 running snow leopard OS.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: AE CS5 render error
on Jan 7, 2011 at 9:47:19 pm

Sounds like there may be a corrupt footage file in your project. Can you identify what's going on in your project at the time it goes south?

Or a more off-the-wall possibility: you're using compressed audio files -- think mp3 -- which is a no-no- in AE.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

noah klersfeld
on Jan 7, 2011 at 9:56:42 pm

the render simply stops rendering. i have reviewed the source footage and it plays through with no problems. i was looking at an old post of yours...Is it possible that it is failing because I have 2GB of RAM and my project has 500 video layers of HDV? I am on a dual core 2x3GHz processor...Do you think purchasing a 12 core machine with maximum RAM could solve this problem? Thanks for responding to my post.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jan 7, 2011 at 10:29:57 pm

[noah klersfeld] "Is it possible that it is failing because I have 2GB of RAM and my project has 500 video layers of HDV?"

Absolutely. Your machine's starving poor AE of the memory it needs, and it can't do anything.

If you're totally in love with 12 cores, that's great. 36 GB would be wunderbar.

I find a dual quad-core's fine: with hyperthreading, that works out to 16 cores. My home machine has 24GB... but if I could have afforded more, I would have gotten more.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

noah klersfeld
on Jan 7, 2011 at 10:49:02 pm

Thank you dave for your comments. I really appreciate them. What is hyperthreading?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jan 7, 2011 at 11:14:35 pm

[noah klersfeld] "What is hyperthreading?"

With certain multicore processors, the operating system can create virtual cores for more processing power. Read all about it:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hyper-threading

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Brian Charles
on Jan 8, 2011 at 12:19:42 am

Dave is right, however you *may* be able to render if you change how frequently memory is purged during render.

To do this you need to access the "Secret Preferences" and change how frequently memory is purged.

To access the Prefs you hold down the Shift key on your keyboard while choosing Preferences>General from the menu.

See:

Secret_Prefs

Return to posts index

noah klersfeld
on Jan 8, 2011 at 4:58:39 pm

thank you Brian. I will try this in the interim and let you know if it works.

Return to posts index

noah klersfeld
on Jan 8, 2011 at 5:01:00 pm

thanks dave. when specifying a new machine does the graphics card play a role in the rendering? how about solid state drives?

Return to posts index

Brian Charles
on Jan 8, 2011 at 11:10:39 pm

The graphics card plays no significant role in rendering. OpenGL is troublesome in After Effects, it can speed some aspects of 3D previews such as lights and shadows, and while it is possible to render an OpenGL preview, its not recommended since quality suffers.

As for SSD's they are great for speedy launch of applications (I have one as a boot drive on my MacPro) but do nothing at all for renders. Render and preview speeds are primarily affected by processor speed ,number of processors, and RAM. The more of all the better. That said, some effects, footage and comps are computationally more expensive than others and will render

I'm currently on a 12 core MacPro with 32 GB of RAM. Previously I was on an 8 core with 16GB. Subjectively measured, the 12 core is about 30% faster than the 8 core. I haven't bothered to do rigorous testing.

Return to posts index

noah klersfeld
on Jan 12, 2011 at 12:29:19 pm

Thank you

Return to posts index

Brian Charles
on Jan 8, 2011 at 11:11:49 pm

The graphics card plays no significant role in rendering. OpenGL is troublesome in After Effects, it can speed some aspects of 3D previews such as lights and shadows, and while it is possible to render an OpenGL preview, its not recommended since quality suffers.

As for SSD's they are great for speedy launch of applications (I have one as a boot drive on my MacPro) but do nothing at all for renders. Render and preview speeds are primarily affected by processor speed ,number of processors, and RAM. The more of all the better. That said, some effects, footage and comps are computationally more expensive than others and will render more slowly.

I'm currently on a 12 core MacPro with 32 GB of RAM. Previously I was on an 8 core with 16GB. Subjectively measured, the 12 core is about 30% faster than the 8 core. I haven't bothered to do rigorous testing.

Return to posts index

noah klersfeld
on Jan 12, 2011 at 4:59:55 pm

Thank you

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jan 10, 2011 at 4:45:50 pm

[noah klersfeld] "when specifying a new machine does the graphics card play a role in the rendering?"

Brian told you about graphics cards & AE. But you say nothing about OTHER applications this new system would run which would definitely benefit from a really hot graphics card... keep those in mind, too. For example, Premiere Pro CS5 gets scary-fast with the addition of the proper Nvidia card.

[noah klersfeld] "how about solid state drives?"

They're a good idea whose time hasn't come yet. They don't have enough capacity for any serious work. You'd be better off getting a RAID -- more capacity, lightning-fast throughput, and if you have the RAID constructed properly, it can rebuild all the data on it if one of the drives fails. That's a good insurance policy to have.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

noah klersfeld
on Jan 23, 2011 at 7:43:36 pm

When purchasing a new machine i have been reading that for RAM the best strategy is to get the minimum factory installed by apple, buy 64G from third party suppliers and swap out the apple RAM entirely for the third party RAM. Would you agree? Thank you

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]