FORUMS: list search recent posts

Using Dynamic Link, then AE Crashed, then worked on the recovered file.. is PPro gonna know?

COW Forums : Adobe After Effects

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Drew Hudgins
Using Dynamic Link, then AE Crashed, then worked on the recovered file.. is PPro gonna know?
on Jan 4, 2011 at 8:46:44 am

I'm really liking the Dynamic Link thing between Premiere Pro and After Effects.

I open my PPro project, right click on my big pink AE comp (that I've already sent to AE), say "Edit Original" and AE will open what it needs to and away I go...

but tonight I was working and AE crashed... it placed a RECOVERY file in my folder... I opened that and started doing some more work...

THEN I STOPPED! I thought, "Awe man. These last 10 minutes of work aren't gonna be kept around because when I open my Premiere Project -- the recovered file that I'm working on IS NOT going to be the AE file that's linked to my Premiere Project!"

So, anyone know more about this? I know I can open up my recovered 10-minutes-worth-of-new-work AE file and kick that out (and bring that "baked cake" right back into the Premiere timeline) but is there any other information out there on relinking a newer version of your linked AE project ? i.e. after a crash?

Thanks

"Motivation is what gets you started. Habit is what keeps you going."
http://hudgemedia.com

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Using Dynamic Link, then AE Crashed, then worked on the recovered file.. is PPro gonna know?
on Jan 4, 2011 at 4:09:47 pm

10 minutes of work ain't nothin'. Wait until you REALLY screw up and lose a couple-three hours of work. Just do it over the right way.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Drew Hudgins
Re: Using Dynamic Link, then AE Crashed, then worked on the recovered file.. is PPro gonna know?
on Jan 5, 2011 at 2:59:06 am

Yeah, I did.

I was lucky I thought of it fairly quickly. But the question still remains at large... answers?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Jan 5, 2011 at 4:11:11 pm

My prime suspect : the version of Creative Suite you run.

If the footage in your project is any kind of long-gop footage -- mpeg, HDV, XDCam, H.264, etc. -- you need CS5, which has been rewritten to accommodate it. Earlier versions just can't handle it properly.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Drew Hudgins
on Jan 5, 2011 at 4:26:46 pm

Yeah, I was in CS5. I thought about this....

When AE crashed, it created a second file. (filename_1.aep) right there in the same folder as (filename.aep).

I thought about removing "filename.aep" from the folder and RENAMING filename_1.aep (the one that AE created/recovered as it crashed) to the name "filename.aep." -- of course thinking that Premiere would be referencing THAT latest recovered file.

but 1) wasn't sure if that file maybe had some other data or something that would not work as smoothly as hoped and 2) certainly didn't want to "test" on this real project

Not too big of a deal, since I didn't lose that much time... but thought I'd post it for the masses... maybe someone out there did the "Create an AE project" item in Premiere, and worked meticulously ... then AE crashed... and now, they're stuck! Sometimes, with this stuff, you have "creative accidents" that are difficult to replicate! ;-)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]